British diver dead on the Stanfield - Spain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
http://thisistorrevieja.com/2015/08/04/search-launched-for-missing-dive
An emergency rescue helicopter assisted search and medical teams from Cartagena on Tuesday trying to locate a diver who had gone missing off the coast of Cabo de Palos, near La Manga.

The alarm was raised just after noon that the diver, who was exploring the wreck of the famous Stanfield ship, had failed to surface and return to the support vessel, and was 45 minutes overdue.

Tragically, the rescuers found the lifeless body of the diver, said to be a British male in his 50´s, in the sea.

British diver Neil Anthony Fears found dead by the wreck of a steamship | Daily Mail Online

British diver has been found dead near the shipwreck of a British steamship sunk by a German U-boat during the First World War.

The body was discovered after a five-hour search by police divers a few metres from the submerged wreck of SS Stanfield in a marine reserve near the La Manga sports resort in Spain.Named as Neil Anthony Fears, 50, he is understood to be a diving instructor who had lost contact with three other divers - all thought to be British - he went out with yesterday morning.

A major air and sea search was launched which ended with the discovery of his body near the SS Stanfield around 4.30pm local time nearly five hours after the alert was sounded. The 120-metre long vessel, a popular attraction for divers in the area, lies nearly 200 feet below the sea at the northern point of the Islas Hormigas marine park near the popular La Manga Club in south east Spain.

It was torpedoed after its capture in 1916 and when it sank, hit the sea bed bow first splitting it open which nowadays enables divers to dive through the bow at three different levels.The wreck is one of several in the area, described as a paradise for wreck divers because it is close to the ancient port city of Cartagena which has been the site of active trading for more than 3,000 years.

It has also been an important military base for the past 2,000 years and is still a major naval base today.

David Alcazar, spokesman for a Murcia region dive centre association, said the four men were using equipment which regulated their oxygen supply depending on their depth and meant they had to return to the surface every so often.The Brit divers noticed their companion was missing during one of their returns to the surface around midday.Mr Alcazar said: 'The diver was a well-known man because he came every summer with his family. 'Investigators will determine what has happened because the spot where the divers were is outside the recreational diving area.'

Were they using rebreathers? not sure I understand what eqiuptment they were using in the last paragraph...

Agree with above. Basically, from what I understand, they evaluate your heart health by "risk factors". If you are not the absolute norm, I really think it's about as useful as a magic 8 ball. Personally, I think the medical community and the insurance companies don't really want know.

People in their 50's who seem perfectly fit and end up dying from heart problems while diving is too common. It happens often. I no longer think a stress test is sufficient. Imaging is a must.

Does scuba diving put added stress on the heart and cardiovascular system that another activity like hiking doesn't or were these people at risk doing any moderately strenuous exercise ?

To a degree, apples & oranges given the different environments. "In weightless conditions of immersion, muscular work is less punishing and divers easily exert themselves beyond their cardio-respiratory limits."

From this article: Alert Diver | Matters of the Heart

I also don't think normal cardiologists, or doctors in general, examine patients from the perspective of diving. I think people need to at least emphasize diving when they're getting physicals and hope your doctor understands the implications. PFO deformities make no difference until you're diving.

Last edited:
Does scuba diving put added stress on the heart and cardiovascular system that another activity like hiking doesn't or were these people at risk doing any moderately strenuous exercise ?
A fellow I went to sorta school with, 5 years younger than me, died this week from a heart attack while shooting photographs, and of course many others have died younger. Everyone dies eventually, and I'd hate to hide at home waiting for it. Somewhere I got the idea that getting out of bed in the morning is the most dangerous time for cardiac events, so I take an aspirin with a couple of other nightly meds to reduce that possibility a little, but I went camping & hiking with my daughter & grandkids this month. I was the slowest, but oh well. They only lost me once. I'm going to do Big Bend NP in a couple of weeks before it gets hot down there. I carry a PLB in my car, my backpack, in my dive canister, etc. I'd be embarrassed to use it if I broke a leg or got totally lost, but I can - and if I die on a trail, oh well.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom