British diver found dead - Talay Songhong park, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why they separated and I am sure that will come out in the enquiry. Yeah sure I hear you on the bailouts and cannot rationalise that myself. I do know that the other team member brought them all out on ascent, been unaware of situation on the surface.

If the other diver removed all the bailouts on the way up, he must have known that the deceased was ahead of him.

Either by the removal of his line cookies or regaining visual but separated by distance, and unable to follow due to deco requirements.
Or at least I would hope so.

To avoid any further misdirection.
The video below shows the said diver prior to recovery still in the water wearing a AP Diving CCR rebreather
and by the look of things (at the end of the video) a pretty new one

You can actually see at least 2 bailout bottles attached to him while he's lying downnin the water (looks like Alu80 and and a 7 litre one). Then next shot you see 3 bailouts next to rebreather, then 4 bailouts at the police station).

If the other diver removed all the bailouts on the way up, he must have known that the deceased was ahead of him.

Either by the removal of his line cookies or regaining visual but separated by distance, and unable to follow due to deco requirements.
Or at least I would hope so.
I have not spoken to the other team member directly but a close friend has, I believe it was visual .

You can actually see at least 2 bailout bottles attached to him while he's lying downnin the water (looks like Alu80 and and a 7 litre one). Then next shot you see 3 bailouts next to rebreather, then 4 bailouts at the police station).
I think they are all his bailouts, deeper ones been brought out by the other team member. Having them at the police station for testing would make sense as one of the main suspected causes is carbon monoxide poisoning from a fault in his compressor. Again this is only hearsay at present.

Just FYI.

British diver's body cremated
PUBLISHED : 7 JAN 2020 AT 14:15
British diver's body cremated

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT: The body of a British diver found dead at a popular diving site last month has been cremated, and his ashes will be taken home by his son.

Roger Smith, 60, was cremated at Artapikhirikhet forest monastery in Thung Yai district on Monday.

Smith, a resident of Thailand, died during a diving trip in Talay Songkhon park with his friends on Dec 21. Doctors at Maharaj Nakhon Si Thammarat Hospital concluded he died from decompression sickness, also known as the bends……..

. Doctors at Maharaj Nakhon Si Thammarat Hospital concluded he died from decompressionsickness, also known as thebends……..

Locally, based on an examination of his compressor and bailout CO readings that it was caused by CO poisoning. The compressor was petrol driven with no intake vent or hopcolite in the filter.

To clarify, this excerpted quote is from the linked story about his cremation & rites, followed by his son taking a portion of his cremains home to England...
Doctors at Maharaj Nakhon Si Thammarat Hospital concluded he died from decompressionsickness, also known as thebends……..

While this statement from unknown sources is from Apecks...
Locally, based on an examination of his compressor and bailout CO readings that it was caused by CO poisoning. The compressor was petrol driven with no intake vent or hopcolite in the filter.

So Apecks, can you give us the source for that claim? That's a claim of personal interest to me as I have long thought that too many CO hits go undiscovered or at least unreported, with too little industry interest in the risks. Having no intake vent or Hopcalite - Wikipedia is two out of three possible causes, the third being that compressors can overheat and burn their own lubricating oil, producing CO internally.

I'd really like to know more about the findings.

To clarify, this excerpted quote is from the linked story about his cremation & rites, followed by his son taking a portion of his cremains home to England...

So Apecks, can you give us the source for that claim? That's a claim of personal interest to me as I have long thought that too many CO hits go undiscovered or at least unreported, with too little industry interest in the risks. Having no intake vent or Hopcalite - Wikipedia is two out of three possible causes, the third being that compressors can overheat and burn their own lubricating oil, producing CO internally.

I think one complements the other: CO poisoning made him feel unwell and head as soon as possible to the surface without observing deco stops. Result: bends that killed him.

I think one complements the other: CO poisoning made him feel unwell and head as soon as possible to the surface without observing deco stops. Result: bends that killed him.
I would tend to agree with you there

Well both the divers involved I knew / know personally and the cave diving community here in Thailand is quite small and with not too many sites so generally we see each other a fair bit when diving. I don’t want to name names but the source was from a video posted on Facebook but not public of an inspection carried out by a world renowned scuba engineering company based here. Additionally I have seen a photograph of a CO analyser on one of the bailouts which indicated 45ppm :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom