Broken air inflator at the beginning of dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just got back from a week at Scuba Club Cozumel (had a great time). On our very first dive my husband couldn't descend. I was far enough away that I couldn't quite understand why he wasn't descending - and the guy on the dive boat was holding up weights in case he was just underweighted. My husband gave me the thumbs-down and we went to the boat. It turned out that every time he would evacuate the air from his BC it would re-inflate (like magic!). No harm done, as it was at the beginning of the dive (and the dive shop had it repaired before the next morning's dives). But it was a conversation starter. How would you handle it if the inflator malfunctioned at depth? What we came up with was we would disconnect the hose from the BC - but if this hadn't happened I don't think I would have thought of that in the midst of a snafu at depth. Are there other, better, different ideas? Would you recommend we practice this little maneuver? My first thought was to ditch the whole rig and share air with my buddy. I don't know which I could do quickest.

Feel free to move this to a different forum if I put it in the wrong place. It counted as an 'incident' to me ...

Same happened to me, i popped off the lp hose and continued my dive. When I saw it was stuck, first thought was to disconnect.

We just got back from a week at Scuba Club Cozumel (had a great time). On our very first dive my husband couldn't descend. I was far enough away that I couldn't quite understand why he wasn't descending - and the guy on the dive boat was holding up weights in case he was just underweighted. My husband gave me the thumbs-down and we went to the boat. It turned out that every time he would evacuate the air from his BC it would re-inflate (like magic!). No harm done, as it was at the beginning of the dive (and the dive shop had it repaired before the next morning's dives). But it was a conversation starter. How would you handle it if the inflator malfunctioned at depth? What we came up with was we would disconnect the hose from the BC - but if this hadn't happened I don't think I would have thought of that in the midst of a snafu at depth. Are there other, better, different ideas? Would you recommend we practice this little maneuver? My first thought was to ditch the whole rig and share air with my buddy. I don't know which I could do quickest.

Feel free to move this to a different forum if I put it in the wrong place. It counted as an 'incident' to me ...
In a PADI open water class it is a required skill that is done in the pool.
Reason is if inflator button gets stuck you disconnect the lp hose and if you require to inflate the bcd you do it orally. This happened to a 11 year old student of mine who was completing her 4 certification dives on a referral. I Completed all her academics and confined water skills here in NY. She reacted correctly as she was trained to do when inflator button got stuck on her rental bcd during a certification dive and completed her dive easily. Did not let a faulty inflator end her dive. Her instructor sent me an email that was cc'ed to PADI as well.
Another good reason to own your gear not rent. You will know that it fits you properly and if it has any issues . You will also clean and maintain it because you own it.
sort of like renting a car. Anyone take a rental car to the car wash and clean exterior,interior before returning it? Change the oil? Of course no one does. Think the facility does a good job cleaning and maintaining rental gear? Usually gets maintained when it breaks, wet suits not cleaned until they stink. All great reasons to own gear rather than stinking rental suits that have who knows in it, or regulator , bcd that may not be properly maintained.
want to call yourself a diver? Really should own your own gear. If you choose to rent rather than own, that is ok, just expect incidents like this to happen.

This question comes up so often on ScubaBoard that I really wonder if people are present during their open-water training.
The removal of the LP inflator hose followed by oral inflation is a fundamental skill that is actually rather likely to be needed during your diving career.
Although the relevant training is in the PADI OW class, it is not part of the RSTC required minimum standards and may not be in any other agency.
I've decided I am going to review it and make it part of any AOW class I teach.

I haven't had it happen but I do remember it being taught in my OW class.

I think it was a great idea to have that discussion after it happened. Maybe these incidents should be discussed on the boat instead of just on ScubaBoard.

Removing the inflator hose is always at the back of my mind. I have an inflator that occasionally sticks open. I am aware that it does it an just pull the button out if it sticks but am ready to disconnect the hose if it won't stop. Luckily it is a slow filling inflator so you really have to hit it hard and long to get a lot of air in the BC.I know I should fixit but it happens seldom enough that I wonder if it is worth the time to fix when it is not a serious problem.

I know I should fixit but it happens seldom enough that I wonder if it is worth the time to fix when it is not a serious problem.

Ever hear of an expression called "the incident pit"? Why are you going into a harsh environment with a known equipment faullt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom