Broken Back, Can I Ever Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icklenat

New
Reaction score
Last year I was unfortunate enough to break my back... long story! The doctors advised me that the best course of action would be surgery and I am now the proud owner of several metal rods and screws over the damaged vertebra.

The surgeon led me to believe that I would be bionic, but now tells that I can NEVER rock climb, scuba dive, jog or even use a rowing machine.

Of course, I have no intention of listening to him! Having just spent 11 months back packing and snorkelling in some of the most crystal waters I am ever likey to see, I am keen to get under the water for longer than my free dive lungs will allow.

The doc reckons that diving will place too much pressure on my lower spine. If anyone has information to the contrary then I'd be most grateful as I WANT MY PADI !!!!

Interesting??? I sure can't see why a broken back would keep you from diving???? I have had more injuries at the age of 24 than most people get in several lifetimes.. including two punctured lungs/ a broken sternum/ and a compression fracture in my neck... still ride dirtbikes / race downhill mtn. bikes / dive / climb/// and on and on and on...

Perhaps your case is totally different... I'd see another doc if I were you... actually I'd see two more if I were you .. if all three say the same thing... well then.. you're outsted...

Wish you luck :D

Don't just go do something without seeing at least one more doc is my best advice ...

Icklenat,
Call Divers Alert Network's non-emergency number, 1-919-684-2948 and ask them.
RonC.

Your doctor probobly dosent know much about diving. You should consult a diving docotor. The only pressure on your back is when you carry the equipment when walking to the water, while diving there's no pressure.

If handicapped people can dive (there are special courses to teach them diving) there's no reason why you can't.

Shees! Broken back! I am glad you have recovered and are active again.

I was concerned about how my health would mix with diving before I got my open water certification. I called the Dan hotline and they refered me to a local diving physician. I had a consultation with him and we went over test results and my medical history. It was one of the best decisions I ever made and I would highly recommend that you do the same. Let someone who knows "the business" help you with this decision.

Best of luck and stay in one piece :)
Kimmie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom