Broken dive reel - help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jmast

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey guys, I have a dive reel and the stopper arm (not sure on the correct term, the little plastic arm that clicks onto the reel to stop it unwinding unless you hold it down) has broken/come off so I am just left with the screw that was in the middle of it. I was wondering whether it's possible to just buy a replacement arm and if so where could I find one?

Thanks.

Sounds like you could make one, but most reels don't have them.

is it a dive right reel?

Good luck. Maybe you can buy one from eBay for parts? Sometimes, purchasing parts from the manufacturer is very expensive especially when shipping and handling are factored into the cost. You may have to look for a new one.

Over the years, I saw a few plastic reels fail. When I decided to add a ratchet reel to complement my other reels, I bought a Kent Tooling ratchet reel. If you cannot get a replacement part for yours, and you want a nearly indestructable reel, then you might want the Kent reel. They are a bit pricy but it could last you a lifetime of diving. (My Light Monkey reel is also very good, but it is not a ratchet reel. I prefer the ratchet reel so my Light Monkey reel is in perfect condition, but no longer used.)

Good luck finding your replacement parts.

Greg

Thanks for all the help guys, might just think about replacing it when I have the funds!

In all honesty, those plastic ratchet reels are "disposable"..... Get another, and have this one as a parts inventory for the next one (unless you break the same part again).

We use them here for our floats. I own a Kent Tooling ratchet (as well as one of their standard reels), but I'd hardly recommend you seek them out. If you are having to budget for another one of these plastic reels, the cost of a KT will really amaze you...

I own a Kent Tooling ratchet (as well as one of their standard reels), but I'd hardly recommend you seek them out. If you are having to budget for another one of these plastic reels, the cost of a KT will really amaze you...

I have a Kent Ratchet too. Damn expensive but almost indestructible. But you get what you pay for.

Best

GJS

For shooting a dSMB from recreational depths just get a finger spool.

You'll probably get one for less than the price of the replacement part for your reel.

Back
Top Bottom