Broken fin = discomfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Had a real opportunity to test a drilled ability.

Snapped a fin mid paddle about an hour into a dive. Turned the dive. Discovered the frog kick gets really ugly with a floppy fin and propulsion is nearly insufficient. Silting out behind me was fairly mandatory if I kicked. Used mainly pull and glide allowed by inverting and picking hand holds on the ceiling as the passages allowed. Had tons of gas along with me and didn't feel unsafe, simply annoying. In bulkier gear or a strong flow I could have been in trouble.

Just an encouragement to practice fin failure responses occasionally. Also wondering how common single fin kicks are practiced?

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
4F6F7083-C687-4B14-9764-092441AC858D.png

Since we are talking fin-destruction anyway...
How can i shorten the flipper part of my fin?
I have short legs, and i would like proportionately shorter fins, so I’d like to trim about an inch or two off the ends, so they are possibly more manageable, although they will move less water with each kick.
It sounds like your fins are real short now. Can you post a picture?

I can't imagine why not. What fin is it? Do you know anyone with a band saw?

This links shows how short the earliest fins were; pretty short but still a huge improvement over bare feet: Dive Fin History
I agree, I think for a lot of easy carribean diving, the smaller, lighter, easier-to-pack-in a-roll-on-bag fins are a great idea.
If I need more power for a type of dive, i can always go back to the big ones.
But should i sand that tough rubber raw end, or try to melt it smooth? My hubby has a table saw, but I am not sure he’d risk it getting all gummed up.
Sorry @northernone for this Total thread hi-jack, but fin-reconstruction May have some overlap! If you give up and give your kickers “shoeuthanasia”
, maybe the moderator can move these posts to DIY thread labeled “Pimp my Fins!”

Last edited:
As I now have experience in custom modified short fin manufacturing I welcome the off topic discussion. I'll add that it's fairly nice to have a substantial fin if possible.... I've done some diving with body board fins. Super short and cheap plastic stiff makes them light to travel with. But I suppose rather inefficient if actual sustained propulsion was needed.

Here's the fins I killed... Jungle hiking and cave system crawling before diving the sumps so I had opted for my lightest most compact fins... In hind sight they deserved a little more care working my way through a major restriction (tanks off) due to their aging character and questionable build quality. I didn't want to risk my favorite mares sea king fins in the harsh environment and didn't want to justify the weight and bulk of my rocket fins.

Regards,
Cameron

Attachments

• 20171127_223837.jpg
    20171127_223837.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 95
My hubby has a table saw

I'm not sure I would want to cut a fin with a table saw. Sounds high risk unless you can come up with a fixture of some kind. My table saw is probably my favorite tool in the shop but one sliced by index finger during my teens -- first emergency room experience. The blade can grab a workpiece and sent it back at you and/or flip body parts into the blade. A rubber fin would be pretty susceptible to closing in on the back of the blade.

A band, jig, or even a hand saw would do the job and be a lot safer.

As I now have experience in custom modified short fin manufacturing I welcome the off topic discussion.

GOOD! Because I’d love to see those fins of yours repaired Frankenstein style, if only to prank your dive buddy.

I didn't want to risk my favorite mares sea king fins in the harsh environment and didn't want to justify the weight and bulk of my rocket fins.

Not to be all “judgy” but better to risk good fins than your neck. Not that I have good fins, or ever dive a cave, but think about it, who do you want to inherit your good fins after you “bite it” diving fins so far gone they could snap in half? Those are real conversations pieces, i hope you get that fin framed!

Regards,
Cameron
I'm not sure I would want to cut a fin with a table saw.
A band, jig, or even a hand saw would do the job and be a lot safer.
Your are right, I have never sawn anything more wobbly than a Christmas tree, so i better not go near the power tools. I’ll practice on old shoes and go slow.
Then i have to finish rough endges, to regain streamlining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom