Brothers cruise on M/V Tala

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beester

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just back from a week long cruise on the M/V Tala.

Dived with a dolphin pod on the check dive so that set the mood for the rest of the week diving.

We stayed 4 days on the brothers, and dove both Numidia, Aida wrecks and of course alot of times both north and south points of both big and little brother.

Most dives consisted of being taken by rib to the drop point... negative entry and then straight descend to max depth, look for big life while trying to maintain your position in current and then slowly ascend and drift along the wall in the shallows. Sometimes you'd reach the liveaboard and perform stops under the boat and watch for oceanics, sometimes you'd release the SMB and be picked up by rib. Most dives where in the 100 to 140 feet range

We saw alot of big life... hammerheads, silkies, grey reef sharks, an occational tresher and manta's.

Both the crew and diveguides really pampered us (thanks Stijn). Not always easy with 20 Belgians who all insist on diving 15 liters tanks and most wanting specific nitrox fillings (28% mostly). Obviously with the technical capabilities of the Tala this didn't proof to be much of a problem. Also the use of scooters was a nice experience and really prooved it's worth when trying to find the big ones in current.

Food was good, cabines likewise (altho most slept on top)... conversations always nice specially after some drinks :)

Big thanks to the crew of redseaexplorers... I can't wait to go back!

Great to read another good report of the Tala! We have a group of ten preparing to go next fall, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Did you not get bored with 4 days on the Brothers?

Little brother we did 3 dives in one day and every one was a complete lap.

Did 4 on big brother (Numidia twice, plateau once and once wall) and then ran out of areas to dive so moved on.

Its nice the Brothers diving is civilised where common sense is deployed, dive until low on gas, send DSMB up then RIB recovery. No having to get back to a boat, no fighting a stupidly strong current. All relaxing.

No I did not get bored... but maybe I'm easily entertained :wink:

We did 7 dives on big brother and 4 on little brother.

Big brother:
- 2 times North plateau
- 2 times South plateau
- Numidia
- Aida
- Back wall with gorgonians

Little brother:
- 4 dives... all starting north or south point

2 scooter dives (gives a whole new perspective).

All dives 130 feet, diving nitrox 28.

It all depends on what you want to see and where your interests are. For me it's the combo wrecks and big oceanic life. Diving with experienced friends, diving in warm cristal clear water...most of my diving at home is inland quaries in winter, shore dives and north sea wreck dives in spring, summer, autumn...this means mostly bad vis, cold water, with current... so I'm not so easily bored with the aquarium diving since I normally do it only once or twice a year for a week.

When I go back to the red sea I would like a 10 day cruise that combines northern wrecks and the brothers or the deep south and the brothers.

For TsandM.... be sure you'll enjoy it. Specifically if you are more technically inclined (diveguides are GUE trained). Trimix mixes or nitrox mixes are no prob, renting stages no prob, renting double tanks no prob, etc.

Did you not get bored with 4 days on the Brothers?

Little brother we did 3 dives in one day and every one was a complete lap.

Did 4 on big brother (Numidia twice, plateau once and once wall) and then ran out of areas to dive so moved on.

Its nice the Brothers diving is civilised where common sense is deployed, dive until low on gas, send DSMB up then RIB recovery. No having to get back to a boat, no fighting a stupidly strong current. All relaxing.

In one trip (14 days) we made 5.5 days on Brothers (18 dives). The diving was so good, we didn't get bored. Six spieces of sharks (and sharks on every dive), mola mola, a manta ray... And snorkeling with dolphins and silkys...
It all depends on if there's a lot of action at the time of your visit (like it seem to have been when beester was there). Then you also have to dive them the 'right' way. Circumnavigating little brother is possible, but doesn't normally produce the best dives there. Fighting currents can unfortunatelly be 'nessecery', to really get to the point where it all happends.
There are a few more dives on Big Brother than the south plateu and Numidia. Who guided you?

/christian

There are a few more dives on Big Brother than the south plateu and Numidia. Who guided you?

/christian

Not me :D

Personally I won't sail off the Brothers except to go to either Daedalus or Elphinstone. However, it depends on his itinerary. If he was sailing out of Hurghada instead of Ghaleb then Daedalus would be so far. Also if his group prefers wrecks and a combination of some nice marine life (octopus, eels, morays, etc...), then Safaga would be a good option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom