BSA Eagle Scout project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My second son Sam was inspired by the wooden scuba racks found at Ginny Springs (see pic 1) and decided to propose, design (pics 2, 3), fabricate (pics 4, 5) and install a similar rack at one of our local shore dive sites (pics 6, 7) as his BSA Eagle Scout project. He installed it two weeks ago in the parking lot grass median at Fort Wetherill State Park in Jamestown, Rhode Island. This site is one of our more popular dive sites as there are two different coves for diving.

He used pressure treated wood for the structure with gray composite decking boards for the horizontal and vertical planks. The fasteners are 316 stainless steel.

As far as known, this is the first scuba rack in New England. Hopefully all will enjoy it and perhaps others will install scuba racks at other local sites.

GinnyRack.jpg tank rack assy 040410.jpg tank rack assy picture_w tank.jpg RackFab.jpg RackFabBoys.jpg FWrack050510b.jpg
FWrack050510a.jpg

Very nice. As a long time Scout Leader, I commend your son for such a nice project.

We definitely need more young men like him. You have very right to be proud. Not only is it a great design and idea, but that it is for the benefit of everyone shows his unselfishness and desire to make things better for everyone. And the drawing of the bench with the tank is very cool. I never could work to the left. All my orthographics views went to the right.

Thank you all for the nice comments and understanding of efforts required. A plaque as shown in the pic was placed onto the rack two weeks ago. Last weekend we led a local shore dive at Fort Wetherill and were pleased to see the rack was popular as it was being used and complimented. Also the local DEM rangers came by and recognized us and said how pleased they've been with the response. Hopefully we'll see other racks added at this dive site as well as several other local shore sites around the area!

RackPlaque.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom