Bubble in SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a HOG SPG that is only a couple months old. Today I noticed there was a slight air leak coming from the connection between the SPG and the hose. There is also a small air bubble visible in the face of the SPG. So, I have two questions:

The SPG is now liquid filled with a small air bubble. Was it originally dry and has now flooded with water, or is it supposed to be liquid filled, and air leaked in?

I'm assuming the air bubble indicates that something went wrong. What happened, can I fix it, or do I need a new SPG?

Thanks!

likely now flooded, depending on what caused the failure it is going to cause a new spg.... may or may not be covered by warranty, if it was assembled by a shop they may cover it for you

Update.... After tbone's post above, suggesting that it is now flooded, I decided to take a closer look to figure out where water could have entered. I noticed that the clear window that seals the face was not sitting completely flat. I then found that I could easily rotate the window around, causing water to leak out. A bit more messing with it, and the window came completely off. So, now I have more questions. Why was the window that loose? Was the minor bubbling I saw from the connection related to this? Do I get a new SPG, or just dry everything and try to smash it back together?

It's only your pressure gauge so I wouldn't let a little contamination worry me. (I'm kidding, pop for a new gauge)

Chrome plated brass housing with a o-ring sealed scratch resistant tempered mineral glass lens.
I'm guessing that part failed..

Seems like there should be some warranty options also but they may be a little fussy about that now since you've basically dissembled it.

my .02, IDK if being submerged actually affects a pressure gauge. Personally I wouldn't want to find out it does at depth.

I have an Italian Thermo on a deco tank and noticed that it had water drops inside. On closer inspection I could see the water stain from the glass seal. Solution - buy a new SPG and bin the old one which was maybe 3 years old and used maybe 6 -10 times.

You should call HOG/Edge if your LDS doesn't immediately offer a replacement. Those guys went WAY above and beyond in replacing a light charger that I LOST. Free of charge. No joke, I left my morph 1000 charger in a hotel. Called to buy a replacement, they said "we don't sell those, but give me your address and we'll ship you one for free."

I'm not saying they will replace it for sure, but I think you've got a better than average shot based on my experience with them.

1.888.810.4811 Monday-Friday 9am-6pm. I'm not sure what timezone they are in.

The air leak was probably independent of the water leakage. The leakage of water could have easily been caused by someone laying a tank on it or some other careless or unintentional impact, especially if it is not in a rubber boot or console. So I would not be so quick to assume that it is a manufacture defect. Regardless, I would think the shop could sell you a new gauge at cost - if they see no evidence of defects..

Just wanted to throw in a quick post to wrap this thread up. I contacted HOG and explained what happened. They emailed me back within a few minutes, and there is already a warranty replacement on it's way to me. Best customer service I have ever experienced!

As for what caused it to leak, I don't know. I've only had it on 2 open water dives (65' max depth), and 4 pool sessions. I have been very careful with it, and am positive it has not suffered an impact or had a tank sat on it. Manufacturing defect..possibly. Rough handling when it was shipped to me...maybe. No way of really knowing. I'm just happy that HOG has been so great about taking care of it.

Last edited:
Just wanted to throw in a quick post to wrap this thread up. I contacted HOG and explained what happened. They emailed me back within a few minutes, and there is already a warranty replacement on it's way to me. Best customer service I have ever experienced!

As for what caused it to leak, I don't know. I've only had it on 2 open water dives (65' max depth), and 4 pool sessions. I have been very careful with it, and am positive it has not suffered an impact or had a tank sat on it. Manufacturing defect..possibly. Rough handling when it was shipped to me...maybe. No way of really knowing. I'm just happy that HOG has been so great about taking care of it.

that's great to hear they took care of you, but wait until someone says to you on a crowded boat: "could you please get your mask (or pressure gage) out from under my tank".. you will have no idea about the abuse your dive gear can get when you aren't looking..:no::no::)

Back
Top Bottom