Buck Island - St Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

choiahoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone dove this site before? I’m having trouble locating much info on it other than that it’s shallow.

When I tried the same search a while back, I found there were no companies providing diving at Buck Island at that time.

Apparently you can dive Buck Island on Wednesday afternoons. And if you have 4 people that are interested you may be able to arrange a private trip on a different day:

https://www.stcroixscuba.com/page/scuba_dive_buck_island

SCUBA DIVE BUCK ISLAND The Only Underwater National Monument In The United States

Buck Island’s Barrier Reef's underwater scene taxes human perceptions with the abundant variety of shape, pattern, color, texture, and movement. It’s barrier reef ranks among the Caribbean’s best. It’s thick branching elkhorn corals push their sheer mass to 30-foot heights. Like fortress walls corals rise off the sea floor and dominate the underwater world.

Through an exclusive arrangement with Caribbean Sea Adventures, we provide scuba diving to Buck Island every Wednesday afternoon. Other times may be available for at least 4 divers.

Check out more information on St. Croix's Buck Island here: https://www.nps.gov/buis/index.htm

Buck Island isn't just for snorkelers.

Two thirds of the island is surrounded by an elkhorn coral barrier reef, providing an ecosystem for hundreds of species of marine life.

https://caribbeanseaadventures.com/tour/buck-island-tours/

DIVE BUCK ISLAND REEF NATIONAL MONUMENT

Caribbean Sea Adventures is the sole provider of scuba diving services at Buck Island National Monument. We have teamed up with the experts of SCUBA - St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures known to be "the friendliest dive shop on earth." Together we provide the ideal diving experience. A white sandy bottom at just 40 feet yields to monuments of coral built like castles in the sky. Perfect for beginners, the seasoned pro looking for a new site, or even one last shallow dive before you head back to the real world.

Price: $100 per guest, $0 Tiny Humans, -10% mil/sr discount

Guests: 19 Maximum

Duration: 3 Hours

When: Every Wednesday at 2:00pm

Meeting Place: SCUBA 81 Queen Cross St, Christiansted, St. Croix, 00820 – Please arrive 30 minutes before scheduled time

Included: Tank, BCD, regulator, weights, fins, mask, dive master

Last edited:
Buck Island sounds like a lot of fun for a 40 ft. dive and I am surprised that this is the first time I've heard anything about it. We spent a week on a liveaboard diving around St. Croix and another week land-based on the island and I never knew that diving Buck Island was an option or that the island offered good, shallow diving!

I'd like to hear from someone that has actually dived Buck Island to hear their opinion.

@drrich2 I believe that you included St. Croix Ultimate Blue Water Adventures in your recent trip report. Did you know that they offer dive trips to Buck Island? Did you dive Buck Island and if so, what did you think of it?

nps.gov/submerged : Submerged Resources Center, National Park Service, Denver, Colorado

Last edited:
On my trip I didn’t hear anything about diving Buck Island. It seems to be marketed for day trips with snorkeling. ‘Underwater national monument,’ huh? Be interesting to see if anyone else reports diving it.

Richard.

I think it's been 3 or 4 years since I was at St Croix. My wife is not a diver and she took the snorkel trip to Buck Island. She was not impressed with the snorkel trip at all.

It was 2 years ago when I visited St. Croix. I remember asking one of the dive ops about Buck Island. They told me that the island itself is a beautiful excursion with some good snorkeling, but the diving was nothing speculator.

It is a beautiful island and really is more of a sail / snorkel excursion .
Sea Dwellers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom