Buck Island - St Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't have the answer for you but like everyone else, have never heard of it before.

The diving must be on a different side of Buck Island away from the snorkeling trail. Can't imagine they would let anyone go down and mess with the signs in the designated snorkeling areas. Haven't found a dive site map of St. Croix that shows a site at Buck Island.

Nice website find @KathyV. One dive for $100 would have to be something special. Would be great if someone had some first hand knowledge to share.

I don't recall where, but I believe I read that it was not that special of a dive but that a stop on the island makes it pleasant enough. I'm packing for St Croix as I type but BI is not on my Itinerary. I will be sure to ask around though of the folks I know on the island.

I don't recall where, but I believe I read that it was not that special of a dive but that a stop on the island makes it pleasant enough. I'm packing for St Croix as I type but BI is not on my Itinerary. I will be sure to ask around though of the folks I know on the island.

I am also hearing that the reason Buck Island isn't a popular dive is because it isn't a great dive, better for snorkeling, so save your money and dive better sites. Have a great trip and let us know how well the island has recovered from the storms of last year!

Was just on a cruise last week and St. Thomas was one of the stops . Charlotte Amaile has little signs
of damage . Did not get around to the other side of the island like Hull bay , but living in Key Largo was
happy to see that they are open and ready for business as we are !
Sea Dwellers

Since St. Thomas got mentioned on a Buck Island & St. Croix thread, and this is an area often visited on cruises, let me pass along a bit I was told recently. The week of Feb. 17-24, my little family was on a cruise aboard Adventure of the Seas, and at our St. Thomas stop we did an excursion to St. John, where we'd never been. On the way, talking with a boat crewman, I was told St. Thomas and St. Croix each have a 'Buck Island,' but they are not the same place. I did a little digging in Wikipedia and turns out that is correct. Plus there's one in the British Virgin Islands, so 3 total in the greater region.

Richard.

Since St. Thomas got mentioned on a Buck Island & St. Croix thread, and this is an area often visited on cruises, let me pass along a bit I was told recently. The week of Feb. 17-24, my little family was on a cruise aboard Adventure of the Seas, and at our St. Thomas stop we did an excursion to St. John, where we'd never been. On the way, talking with a boat crewman, I was told St. Thomas and St. Croix each have a 'Buck Island,' but they are not the same place. I did a little digging in Wikipedia and turns out that is correct. Plus there's one in the British Virgin Islands, so 3 total in the greater region. Richard.

Wow, I wonder who "Buck" was, and how did he get his name on so many sites in the Virgin Islands?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom