Buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goindrinkn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Quick and easy question this time. (I think...) Just got my bp/w, and saw conflicting information on this. Should the buckle on a bp/w be left or right hand release?

I see things about left hand so it isn't confused with the weight belt / and so it doesn't catch the crotch strap, but I see right hand as well... (not as many reasons why...)

I thought it was right hand, but am not sure why that is... Thanks in advance!

Put it on the left side of the harness so it's right hand release. If you put it on the right side, you'd have to take the buckle on and off for the can light. Lame.

The buckle is attached to the left side waist strap. It is threaded through the crotch strap loop, and when tightened should butt up against the can light keeper on the right hand side. Back in the day, the waist buckle used to also double as the can light keeper, but nowadays most people use a separate (loose) buckle for that.

The "not to be confused with the weight belt" isn't really a concern with the DIR configuration, so left-hand vs right-hand release is not an issue. The waist buckle is in fact a right hand release, but is normally worn far enough around on the right side that it shouldn't be confused with the weight belt buckle.

There's really no reason to be ditching weight either (except maybe at the surface after a wing failure) so confusion with any belt worn is not part of the equation.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom