Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Am I convincing you or do you still think I'm full of s...t?

R..

After further consideration, I see what you suggest as quite insightful and thought provoking, indeed.

I'll agree that in the beginning the term "Hogarthian" was used to describe much more than just the gear configuration. It was, in fact, used by some to describe much of the system that we now refer to as DIR. Originally, the "Hogarthian" system did presuppose, among other things, the need for a buddy and the responsibilty of that buddy to provide redundancy. But the usage of the term in this sense has been replaced by a more complete and further refined system that we know as DIR.

So now we use "Hogarthian" to decribe gear and while the founders of DIR would probably just as well wish that term would disappear, they alone have become the protectors of what truely is "Hogarthian". Because of this we are left with how they define it and it will remain this way until guys like Bill Main, Bill Gavin, and Lamar English say otherwise. In fact, it may already be too late.

Yet, there are still some that do indeed continue to think of "Hogarthian" as a system of diving. Check out Silent Submerssion's site, for instance. With reference to your question about buddy diving they state that under the Hogarthian philosophy, "Solo diving is accepted but not recommended, and a buddy team should [be] such that your buddy is your backup and bailout gas."

...and this comes from Rodney Nairne...a guy that... I believe... hangs with the head hog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom