• Always for both divers

Votes: 76 58.5%
  • Only for myself

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Never

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • Only if i dont know my buddy and/or the buddys gear.

Votes: 18 13.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok doing a verbal check is also a buddy check in my opinion. But one problem would not be detected: turning air on and then off. Gauge/computer reads air on and after 3 breaths..
Also if the IP has a problem, you are able to see it(moving needle while breathing).

But jeah, checking the reg and boyancy is the important part of the buddy check in my opinion.

Yup. I turn on my air, breathe it, keep it on - and then check right before I splash. Check in with Roger right before we splash. (Maybe I should go back and change my tally?). :wink:

Out of 51 votes, no one voted for: never.
Thats interesting. I see so many people diving with new dive buddys, that do not want to do a pre dive check, here in the local lakes.

Maybe these guys are just not that interested in the sports to hang out in a forum about it :D

Doing a limited check or something different then the usual bsac, is fine in my opinion, if both diver know each other and the equipment.

For those who are interested Prof Simon Mitchell gave a talk to the BSAC Diving Conference in 2019 which is relevant to this thread.

Thanks. That is an excellent presentation.

Prof Mitchell talked more about rebreathers than open circuit. He wants checklists reduced to what he called the "Killer Four" items that, if forgot, could kill someone and that are in fact implicated in a lot of deaths. Short enough that people really will use them. Focused on things that do get forgot and do kill people.

He included a brief shot of a recreational dive checklist that was used in a study he cited, but he said that that checklist was too detailed and needed refining.

Not long ago on another thread related to safety, I said I would embrace a good checklist for recreational divers but had never seen one. I asked if anyone had one to share, but no one responded. So what are the Killer Four for open circuit recreational dives within no decompression limits? My guess would start with making sure the air valve is open. What else needs to be there?

Thanks. That is an excellent presentation.

Prof Mitchell talked more about rebreathers than open circuit. He wants checklists reduced to what he called the "Killer Four" items that, if forgot, could kill someone and that are in fact implicated in a lot of deaths. Short enough that people really will use them. Focused on things that do get forgot and do kill people.

He included a brief shot of a recreational dive checklist that was used in a study he cited, but he said that that checklist was too detailed and needed refining.

Not long ago on another thread related to safety, I said I would embrace a good checklist for recreational divers but had never seen one. I asked if anyone had one to share, but no one responded. So what are the Killer Four for open circuit recreational dives within no decompression limits? My guess would start with making sure the air valve is open. What else needs to be there?
The main point was having someone ask if, for example, the gas was on and working. Not the silent self check.

I voted for "never" not because I never do pre-dive checks - but because I never have done a proper buddy check (other than during OW class).

Nowadays I dive mostly solo. The way I handle pre-dive checks is this: I have developed a very specific routine that I always follow. Nothing too formal but mainly the order that things happen plus several small things like tank valves stay always totally closed or totally open, inflate BCD and check regs before splashing while looking at spg's needle, etc.

Now when I dive with buddies, for me I follow more or less the same procedure. Typically I am a bit faster than the rest, hence once I am finished, I spend the time observing other people and how it is going... If I see anything wrong I tell people and with the slightest noticed discomfort I offer to help.

I've encountered few forgotten closed valves or missing weight belts, few problematic AI sensors etc but nothing more serious than that.

To be honest I don't even remember what a proper buddy check is.

YMMV

I voted for "only for myself".

I do a lot of solo diving, so am used to verifying my gear. I will check someone else's gear if they ask, otherwise I leave it up to them.

DW

What I do is give my buddy a once over pre-dive and usually try to get a 2nd look at my buddy sometime after submerging to check for bubbles where there shouldn't be any. Mostly he/she doesn't realize I've checked them unless I find something amiss. It's not an overt check just a look see on my part. I don't remember the last time I did a formal buddy check.

My self check is looking in the dive bag, if it's empty I have everything on.

I voted sometimes because the answer is "it's complicated".

Much of my diving is teaching. I don't have my students check my gear because they are not my buddy, but I am watching them put the gear together, making sure they do their checks properly, and while I don't touch their gear to check it, I'm still checking it.
If diving with a buddy, I don't touch their gear unless they ask me to or to move the valve assembly down into the water for a bubble check if they don't lean far enough back.

I have never been taught to actually check other divers regulators. We teach primary donate which negates all of that.

I am bad about doing formal buddy checks in the water unless I'm teaching, but it is because my buddies all dive solo/teach very often so we are used to being incredibly diligent about our own checks

Back
Top Bottom