Budget Komodo liveabords in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I appreciate January is generally rainy season, but wondered if anyone had any experience or could recommend any liveaboard operators please, ideally 4/5 days long, that run in January.
Many thanks

Thanks Luko I’ll email them

So unfortunately Dragon Dive Komodo don’t have any liveabords planned for January due to weather. If there’s any other budget operators anyone can recommend please let me know.

Maybe a stay on Bali could suit the weather better?

Thanks

Did William or Manu told you when they'll stop/resume their DDK liveaboard?
Try UberScuba then, I don't have experience with them but the owner Michael is a very nice guy (also owner of Kalimaya as well where I met him).
Doesn't say much on the liveaboard quality but I am naive enough to consider nice friendly guys do their best to run decent operations.

William said it would be March before they have liveabords planned. I’ve contacted UberScuba but it all depends on demand so I guess I’ve to see closer to the date

Thanks for your help and suggestions

I will advised against looking for budget Komodo LOB. Condition in Komodo will need experienced (read well paid) DMs and boatman (guy who manned the skiff boat). Most of the budget LOB use crew who are freelance (most based in Bali when there is no job) and may not know the condition well. There been cases when divers surfaced with the skiff boat far away from their surface location due to current. Experienced boat man will be following the bubbles underwater instead of sleeping on the boat for 30min before start looking for divers for example. It is your life and I won't try to save money based on that.

I will advised against looking for budget Komodo LOB. Condition in Komodo will need experienced (read well paid) DMs and boatman (guy who manned the skiff boat). Most of the budget LOB use crew who are freelance (most based in Bali when there is no job) and may not know the condition well. There been cases when divers surfaced with the skiff boat far away from their surface location due to current. Experienced boat man will be following the bubbles underwater instead of sleeping on the boat for 30min before start looking for divers for example. It is your life and I won't try to save money based on that.
Budget liveaboards in Komodo don't necessary mean crappy liveaboards. there are of course some "local" LA you need to avoid.
The two operations I listed above are safety conscious, none of their cruise directors nor crew are free lances as they OWN their boats.

On the other hand I know quite some daytrip operations in Labuan Bajo who employ gringo freelance DMs or instr. who are totally useless in Komodo waters.

Budget liveaboards in Komodo don't necessary mean crappy liveaboards. there are of course some "local" LA you need to avoid.
The two operations I listed above are safety conscious, none of their cruise directors nor crew are free lances as they OWN their boats.

On the other hand I know quite some daytrip operations in Labuan Bajo who employ gringo freelance DMs or instr. who are totally useless in Komodo waters.

Of course they might be some gems LOBs who are able to price it cheaply and still provide safe and good diving trip. But generally for me, I will not want to find a cheap boat diving in Komodo without doing sufficient due diligence due to bad reputation of those 'local' LOB or day operation in Labuan Bajo.

I did a trip on the Weta Molas run by Divine Diving a couple years ago. It's a budget LOB that comes with all the budget amenities like no a/c, beer from an ice cooler, people sleeping on deck, ( I booked the sleeping on deck option but was given the use of an empty cabin), a smaller phinsi style boat, etc. The small boats can be rather "cozy" and how the cook manages to cook in what amounts to a closet I tip my hat to him. For coffee it was instant which i had assumed it would be so i brought a stash of instant mocha which is a step above just instant coffee. ( i had a running joke that amused the staff of making milk steamer noises when stirring it up).There could have been a bit more food served, I didn't go hungry but I'm notorious for my ability to go back for a full plate of 3rds from a young age and I'm of normal weight for my height.
It sufficed my needs which can be basic, and was run rather well. The DM's were local not "gringo" and excellent with both beginning divers and experienced divers, i watched them monitor the newbies carefully and they didn't mother hen us experienced divers, and the CD was an experienced "grino" with many years in Komodo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom