Trip Report Budget Trip Report for Utila, Alton's, and L.A. Apartments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keesmon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last week my family and I took a week plus trip to Utila to get some diving in and get certifications for several of us. Due to the Lunar New Year school holiday we had 10 days to travel. I was last in Utila in 2010 when I did my rescue certification with Alton's. That went well so they got my business again.

Getting there:
It's not that easy to get to Utila on the cheap. We booked our flights way in advance ($400 pp) and were supposed to be on a non stop 2AM Avianca flight to San Pedro Sula, arriving at 6AM. Unfortunately that flight cancelled and we were rerouted through San Salvador, from which we would arrive in San Pedro Sula at 9AM. That flight was cancelled too, leaving us with a rescheduled flight with an arrival in San Pedro Sula at 4PM. That necessitated an overnight stay in San Pedro, for which we chose Metrotel, approximately 10 minutes from the airport by prearranged transfer ($13). Metrotel was fine for an overnight stay. The pool was wet, the restaurant on site was adequate, and there were two beds in the room. We got picked up at 5AM by a prearranged minivan for the transfer to La Ceiba harbor ($150) for the 9AM ferry to Utila. We arrived in Utila by 10AM.

Diving with Alton's:
The reason for diving with Alton's again was that I had a good experience there in 2010 and it's one of the few ways we can reward good service. From early on in the planning process, Alton's manager Steve assisted with the logistics of the trip, and he helped think through the possibilities when the flights kept changing on us. My family consisted of my open water certified wife, and my two non certified sons, aged 12 and 10. Since we arrived on Saturday morning instead of Friday night, I had arranged afternoon dives for the afternoon for my wife and myself, and the start of the open water class ($275 pp) for my sons. My wife got a refresher as it had been over 6 months since her last dives. My sons instructor Karl was fantastic with them throughout the course, took his time, and got assistance from DM and DMT's when he requested it. For a shop that is busy with new students every day, it was great to see that no corners were being cut, and that attention was being payed to everyone individually. I had my kids complete the entire open water manual with me and had gone through the videos with them stateside, in order to familiarize them with the concepts of the course. This proved to be valuable for them, as the course deals with vocabulary that is easier for adults to comprehend. I wanted them to take the full course on site though, so they could immerse themselves in it. They completed the course in 4 days. Bonus for us parents was when the boys were busy with instruction in the afternoon, leaving some time for us to walk to nearby Bando Beach for a beverage and some chill time in the sun.
My wife took her advanced certification (also $275), so that she could gain some additional diving skills before we set off on potential trips with the four of us in the future. The class runs every day, with two dives on one day, and three dives on the other, so that you can start the course any day and complete it on your own schedule. There were the usual knowledge reviews and briefings. Again, no shortcuts were taken.
I did 7 consecutive days of two tank dives ($65 per day), playing around with a new macro lens for my pocket sized Intova Sport HD camera. The winds did not allow us to go to the north side most days unfortunately, but I was pleasantly surprised with the health of the reef, focusing on the smaller things. Over the course of 14 dives, I saw 3 daytime octopi, 2 pipe fish, a juvenile sea horse, a few turtles, rays etc, and many worms, blennie's, and other little things that I personally never knew to look for. Dive masters varied from the young, few hundred dive, newly minted type, to seasoned dive masters with thousands of dives, and good eyes for the smaller things.
My last memory of Utila had been that it was an OK diving destination, with less then average fish life (compared to Bonaire, Curacao, and Cozumel), but interesting reef structures. I had forgotten how shallow and lush the top of the reefs were, which was a pleasant surprise. On a typical dive, there would be a wall dive to 30 minutes, with a return of 30 minutes at the top of the wall. I thought the second part of the dives was more interesting in general. The soft corals were more abundant than I have seen elsewhere in this part of the world. Though I brought my own gear, all gear is included on all diving. I was cold in my 3MM and used a 3MM shorty over top to take care of that.

Staying at L.A. Apartments:
L.A. Apartments is a 20 minute walk from Alton's, near the Mango Inn, in a residential neighborhood. A two bedroom apt. with access to pool was just under $500 for the seven nights we were there. It is perfectly clean and served our purposes fine. Decor is a bit sparse, but we don't need much more than a place to sit, a place to cook, and a place to chill. We could have stayed for free in Alton's dorms (in a 4 bed dorm room), but we decided that we didn't want to subject the rest of the dive shop to our family for a whole week 24 hours a day. That turned out to be a good choice. We walked to the shop every morning, and walked home at night, though there are now tuk tuk's all over the island which cost about $1 per ride within town. We did have one night time driver get us for $5 worth of lempira's once, but everyone else on the Island was honest and kind.

Utila Island:
We mostly spent our week diving, walking to lunch, diving, and walking back to the apartment. Food is just OK. We did rent a golf cart for a half day to cruise around the island. Besides the main strip and a few arteries in town, a lot of the island is made up of dirt roads and walking trails. We had a ball giving my 12 year old his first "driving lesson" and ended up in some fun places to have a beverage and a snack. A special shout out to fellow NY'er Zach, who has opened up a 4 seat bar on a pier. Perfectly low key and good times all around.

Getting home:
7AM ferry to a 10AM bus to a flight from San Pedro to San Salvador to NY was about 20 hours door to door. Uneventful, but obviously time consuming.

Utila is still a backpacker's Island and did not disappoint. We wanted a budget friendly place where my kids could get certified in a good learning environment. The atmosphere on the island, and at Alton's specifically is very welcoming. My boys moved freely around the shop, along the strip, and on the boats. We came and went as we pleased, and were greeted everywhere we went. Unfortunately, for the second time, the whale sharks were out of reach for me again. That was not the reason to be there, but it'll be a reason to return in the future. My conversations with Alton himself (ex three term mayor, now owner of Alton's again) both on land and around dives were fantastic. It'll be a few years before I return again, but I now have a certified family with a love for the sport with many destinations ahead.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg

Last edited:
thanks for the report, im glad you had a good time and you rediscovered how beautiful utila is under the water . I agree that for a backpacker or super budget traveller you chose well.

however like 95% of people who review utila or post about their experience on utila, you confused an island with a town.

you mentioned you rented a golf cart to "explore the island", not to be persnickety BUT this is a popular misconception, you explored the area around town, you didn't explore the island.

80% of utila doesn't have roads and can only be reached by boat. imho that 80% is the beautiful part, there are miles of empty beaches (town has two small beaches), there are few tourists (95% of tourists are all jammed in town), its beautiful (utila town is hardly beautiful) and its peaceful and private (the opposite of town).

if you plan on visiting utila please understand, theres utila town and then there's utila, the island. they could hardly be more opposite from one another. most visitors only see the beautiful parts of the island from their dive boat when heading to the west or north sides to dive or look for whale sharks.

if you want to stay on the beautiful island of utila rather than the not so beautiful utila town, please check out:-

treasure beach rental homes
sandy cay private rental island
little cay private rental island
the cabana at big rock
casa de playa
utopia resort

these accommodations are all on the south and southwest shore of utila island near the utila cays. only 10-15 mins from town by boat they all have the following in common:-

long beaches with virtually no one on them
a coral reef less than 20 feet from shore that runs parallel to the beach for 3 miles
no crowds
no noise
beautiful nature
they look just like picture postcard images of the caribbean ideal.

if you're NOT ON A SUPER TIGHT BUDGET , i highly recommend you look at the 80% of utila that is not utila town. out there you can rent a beautiful home for a week for the price of 2 nights in a comparable rental in the caymans. so its still budget travel really !!

here are some links that give a glimpse into the "other utila"
www.facebook.com/utilabeach
www.facebook.com/groups/SandyCay
www.facebook.com/UtilaRental/

when my home on utila was being built I stayed in all of these places, they're definitely hard to beat !!
and they are all served by Bogdan and his team at Utila Cays Diving. look them up online, they are consistently rated the best small dive shop in the bay islands

Thanks for providing an alternate point of view Laurence.

I think the allure for me on vacation is the interaction with other people.
I understand that for you, and many other home owners and vacationers, the isolation of a private home accessible by boat is a good thing, but I actually thrive on meeting some other people. We did originally looked to stay at some properties in the trade winds area, but they were out of our range for this trip. We also needed to be in walking distance to the shop with three divers getting certifications on different schedules. I agree that the town has limited allure.
We did see some nice properties from the dive boat heading west, and I can see the topside beauty of the Island, at least in limited fashion. That part is just not for us.

When we visit Cozumel, we rent a house in town. We chill by our pool by ourselves after the morning dives, but like to go out to restaurants and bars when the sun goes down. When we're in Bonaire, we rent something close to, or in Kralendijk so we can interact with people.

We took our golf cart and explored the east side to the airport, by the caves and where ever we could go. We also rode to the end of the road past the public beach towards the west, so I'd say we got about as far as we could get. We tried to go to the light house as well, but turned around at the first bend. That track is not made for golf carts.
There was no way my family was getting on a boat to go any further out without a tank strapped on.

I am intrigued by Utila Cays Diving. It would be interesting to dive with a shop that is less diving school and more resort dive oriented, but this was not that trip. I'm also not sure if I take a dive dive dive trip that Utila comes to the top of the list just yet. There is a lack of fish life compared to some other Caribbean destinations. I would agree that Utila town is not the prettiest, but I think the dive shops on the bay form their own little atmosphere that works well for us.

All in all it was a great trip and we came away with two boys completely in love with diving, which was the main goal anyways.

glad you had a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom