Buffalo dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking for an experienced dive buddy to show me areas in and around buffalo to dive. I have not done any diving locally other than quarries. I am a new AOW 30 dives or so. I have all my own gear so I can try going out whenever.

@ryanski : You new to the area? Train here? With who? Where do you live?

You can get to know folks here by doing the (Wednesday, IIRC) Niagara River evening "drift & dogs" at Isle View Park put on by Discover Diving (Depew, NY) - starts up in a couple weeks. Check out the schedule on the shop's web page. Also, Dip-n-Dive (Kenmore, NY) has occasional diving scheduled. Get on their newsletter. Stopping in to the shops is always a good idea to introduce yourself.

If you do a drift with them, and see some guy diving a double hose, it is likely me.....

Buffalo diving is a challenge as there isn't much close by and the shallows are debris piles - still requiring a boat to get there. Lots of stuff deep, but that is charters, and advanced skills.

I grew up in Lancaster. I live in Clarence now. I have been meaning to get to the drift dive on Wednesday's for over a year now. I always work from 245pm Tuesday until 7am Wed so I have not had it sync up yet where I wake up on time. I did original OW with dipndive. Then AOW with tank-ha in Mexico.

I recently completed my open water dives with Dip N’ Dive and am also looking for dive buddies that would like to dive windmill or some other beginner type dives. I own my equipment aside from tanks and am available most weekends. Drift dive sounds like fun! I have signed up for my advanced diver program but unfortunately Dip n’ Dive isn’t doing the drift dive because of the construction on the west branch of the river.

I would have a hard time getting to the drift dives as I work until 5pm just about every Wednesday. I did sign up for the charter dive tomorrow but unfortunately something has gone wrong with the boat and owner and all charter dives on the lake are suspended for the time being. I’m off Tuesday if anyone has any interest in getting together to hit the quarry or something...

I would have a hard time getting to the drift dives as I work until 5pm just about every Wednesday. I did sign up for the charter dive tomorrow but unfortunately something has gone wrong with the boat and owner and all charter dives on the lake are suspended for the time being. I’m off Tuesday if anyone has any interest in getting together to hit the quarry or something...

which quarries do you go too? i have only been to the one right across the border windmill point. I also only have a 3 mm wet-suit. i need to eventually get a thicker one to add to my diving season.

I know there is a quarry at Sherkston, I’m just not sure if they still allow diving there or not. It is a little bigger than windmill and a little deeper if I remember correctly. I used to go up there just about every weekend when I was a kid as my uncle had a cottage at the property just east of the actual sherkston shores area. He used to dive in the quarry and tell all us kids about the sunken train cars. Like I said, not sure if diving is still allowed there. But yea with the thermoclines experienced at little windmill point, I would think you can’t get much done around here at all without a 7mm wetsuit... Rent one and we’ll go to the quarry!

You guys can also check out Welland Scuba Park (Welland Ontario). Vis goes to hell quickly, s get there early. If you want to practice compass and lines, it is perfect....

Google the map for it...

Back
Top Bottom