Buffalo police Diver missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Search continues on third day

I've been watching this on the local Buffalo news. It seems he was new to the unit too, his buddies must be devastated- they were visibly distraught and frustrated. It must be incredibly difficult to do a search there, hopefully they find him in the calmer sections of the river.

In a river described as such, I would guess the visibility would be zero, or very close. I wonder if there were any voice communications systems between the training divers and the top?

With slower currents so they are hoping for better conditions for a recovery.

In a river described as such, I would guess the visibility would be zero, or very close. I wonder if there were any voice communications systems between the training divers and the top?

My neighbour says the vis can be very good. He's a bit of an adrenaline junkie and I have declined his invitations to dive there.

My neighbour says the vis can be very good. He's a bit of an adrenaline junkie and I have declined his invitations to dive there.

Can't say I blame you. Just knowing I am diving in what can be in excess of a 10 knot current, with a REALLY BIG waterfall somewhere downstream would be a bit of a distraction.

Last edited:
I guess my point was this, if the vis is such that it's likely a no-buddy solo dive situation, would audio communication be mandatory, or if not, would that be a reasonable 'training dive' risk?

One of the articles I read yesterday stated vis was about 10 feet. Not great for the Niagara River but typical this year with water levels.

I'm not sure if the US side of the river is different but I wouldn't characterize it as a dangerous dive.

There is a decent current and many eddy currents so the recovery will likely be a complicated one.

Last edited:
I guess my point was this, if the vis is such that it's likely a no-buddy solo dive situation, would audio communication be mandatory, or if not, would that be a reasonable 'training dive' risk?

On my team, audio is always treated as a backup. Ropes don't fail randomly underwater, comms do.
<edit>

Then I read the report. This is the first time I've ever heard of a rope "failing". I would be interested in seeing the state of that team's gear. Also interested in what kind of line they were using. And wondering where their safety officer was.

Back
Top Bottom