Bugs on roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting - seeing this thread. My first and only time to Roatan we went at the end of April into early May and did not have a single bug bite.
YMMV but I think it is season dependent...

On one of my trips to Roatan we stayed at Barefoot Cay.
They had a built in sprinkler system that sprayed insecticide around the property.
They also had staff constantly raking the beach sand to expose any eggs.
We had no problems for the week.

Be careful with that stuff, it is a corticosteroid and has issues if you over use it over a short time.

over a longer time....but then again, that’s why you need a Physician’s scrip. The Dr. will be your advisor. Not the nets.

If your MD has been in the Caribbean, you’ll likely get the scrip without much further questioning, just the warning.

Side effects from protracted use may include “Thinning” of skin. Benefits include instantaneous relief from otherwise life-enveloping itching.

One of life’s choices.

On one of my trips to Roatan we stayed at Barefoot Cay.
They had a built in sprinkler system that sprayed insecticide around the property..

What an efficient way to poison the reef. At Fantasy Island they have Yard Boys walking around with simple sprinkler cans of DDT. Like everyone else, they claim it’s Lemon Pledge or some such ridiculous lie.

Leave it to the Tourist trade to mechanize the process.

We got this from our doctor for our last trip to Roatan, works great!

For a non-prescription option that possibly has fewer side effects, and has been super effective for me (I get baseball size welts from some mosquito bites! :(), is Benadryl Cream. It has been a LIFESAVER, usually shrinking the bite down and easing the itching! This should be available in any pharmacy (Walgreens, CVS, Riteaid, etc.) or large supermarket (Walmart, Target, etc.).

shopping

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom