Build A basic workout routine...Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Don't know if this is the place or not but here goes.

I'm looking to shed some pounds, get my heart & lungs working and build a little muscle. I only have about 45 minutes to an hour a day to work out. Currently I am walking/running in intervals for about 30 minutes per day 3x's or 4x's per week.

I'm thinking I need to start including some weight training at the gym. I would prefer to use the freeweights but due to limited time would like to know what exercises to do. I would like to do all "compound" movements that involves alot of muscles together. If anyone has any whole body routines that I could try for say 6 weeks, please let me know.

Also if you have a pretty good schedule let me know.

Ex.
Day 1 - 30min cardio, 30 min weights
Day 2 - 30min cardio
Day 3 - 30min cardio, 30 min weights,
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5... you get the picture.

Thanks
J:

I've a bowflex on which I work out 3 times a week.

The other 4 days I go walk a 1.5 mile circuit with the YAF.

Thing about it is that I don my rig, HP-119, steel back plate and 10 additional pounds and do the circuit with it strapped on.

Needless to say, I get some interesting look-ats . . . .

the K-razy Walker

What I do is:

10 mins on the X-trainer to warm up.

And the Do one of the following Weight days
Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
Day 2 - Back and Bicepts
Day 3 - Legs and shoulders

and then do 20 min of cardio.

I mix up which machines I use.

The program is kinda based on this

3 Day Workout For Beginners - MuscleandStrength.com

Overall. Each day in the gym is ~1 hr

I started going to Fitness Wold, went there twice, hated it, ended up paying for the whole 2 year contract, because couldn't cancel early. So be careful before you sign to any gym.
My wife used to go to Curves that is only for women but said that there is a program for men as well, called Pace for men or something like that. It's a circuit training that takes only about 30 min and should be cardio and weights all in one.

J,

Wait until after Thanksgiving or Christmas and get one of the lower end bowflexes on sale.

Ours was~ $1000 but got it from Dick's Sporting Goods for $500 after Thanksgiving.

the K

Thanks everyone. TK, I have a bowflex at home, one heck of a Scuba equipment drying rack! And I've been paying my monthly dues at the gym for about 14 years now. Talk about a waste of $30.00 per month, since all I use is the treadmill, cycle and eliptical machine.

JeffG, great advice. That's what I was looking for. I see you do a "split" routine with body and I'm looking for a 3x per week full body lifting routine but I will try it out for 6 weeks and see how it works for me.

Thanks all,
J:

Here are a couple of fitness web sites:

simplefit.org ~ you may already be advanced for them, but it is about simple fitness
crossfit.com ~ you mentioned you would like to try full body / compound exercises, try these people out. They have a 'getting started' section, along with a large number of exercise videos and a great forum {almost as good as scubaboard.com}.

Best of luck, let us know how you are doing.

hey, do a google search for GBC (German Body Composition). This routine is DESIGNED to intergrate weights into cardio. All you will need to do is 5 mins on a bike or stretching to get the blood flowing. The first week or two depending on your level of current fitness you might not even beable to finish the work out if you are doing it right as you will be totally tired and outta breath. One of the hockey players from the redwings had his trainer switch up to this plan and he couldnt finish it at his levle, so dont feel defeated. I know with me personally it took about a month to get used to it. Its a very difficult work out as it is full body each day. Just works different groupings each day.

I know at first reading it it might sound weird becuse you are not doing the classic work out styles of Day 1: Chest/Arms Day2: Legs day3: Torso/back but this thing WORKS! The key is you have to do it as prescribed. Using their rep count speed, their rest between exercises, etc. Dont feel ashamed at using small amounts of weight the first few times. Once you begin getting conditioned for it, you will be increasing weights daily.

After 6-8 weeks you will want to take a week off, then do a different plan for 6-8 weeks, one week off....then back to the GBC. there is no work out that does nto warrant this type of switching around, dont let anyone fool you. Each one has its bennifits and its weaknesses thats why there are multiple huge books talking about each type of work out (GBC, 10x10, etc)

give the GBC a shot thou, itll help you maximize your time as you wont be having to do 30 mins cardio then 30 mins lifting weights....Ive also found that when you only do 30 mins cardio you loose out on the big bennifits.....hit a bike for an hour 3 times a week for 2 weeks and you will see what I mean....you will be in a far better place than if you hit a bike for 30 mins 6 times per week for 2 weeks.

another trick....if you are doing the 30 min split...star tthe first 60 secs easy sut to get warmed up...then increase intensity and resistance for the next 3 mins....then go back to normal....and each day try to add 15-30 secs or so to the 3 mins of faster/harder time....just a nice little technique and sets you up with a good/equal competitor....yourself!

Go for compound movements with your weight lifting. Chest presses, row, squats, etc. To lose weight and put on some lean mass, I've been liking my high rep work out. It's high intensity so it has a cardio aspect to it. If you want to do 3x per week, I'd do either 8 sets of 8 reps or 10 sets of 10 reps. 15 seconds rest between reps. It's brutal so start lighter than you think you need to start and move up from there. You use the same amount of weight through out. The first few sets may feel easy, but can guarantee if you are doing it right, you won't feel that way in the end.

CHEST: the bench press. Keep it a little different, and each time you go switch between flat, incline, and decline. For something even more different, do the 8x8 and use an adjustable bench. Start flat and move it up one notch after each set. The fifth set should be the same as the fourth. Then move it back down one so that the 8th set is flat. May work on the 10x10 but the 5th and 6th sets may be too upright and work you shoulders more.

BACK: Bent over rows. Change it up a little by changing your grip. Do over hand one day and underhand the next time. If you use dumbells, do overhand, underhand, and ones where your hands point in at each other(if that makes sense)

SHOULDERS: Shoulder press and upright rows. Upright rows hold the weight in front of you and pull it up to shoulder height.

LEGS: Squats and lunges.

By doing 4 exercises in the high rep way, it should take no more than 45 minutes. Your biceps and triceps will get worked out with this. They are small muscle groups anyway that you don't need to focus on them.

Keep doing your intervals, and make sure you up the intensity. If at possible incorporate. cross country running. The dirst makes the impacts easier. The scenery makes it less boring. The rocks and roots make it more challenging. For me I have a lot of hills. So I don't do the traditional intervals, but trying to maintain the same speed or effort on the hills makes it that way.

A solid cardio and stretngth program will shed more weight than a diet and either one alone. For me anyway, if I run and lift, I can eat about anything and lose weight. If I eat good, I'll shed a lot of weight.

If you find the hgih rep stuff isn't working for you, try 5 sets of 5 reps with a longer recovery time between sets.

Back
Top Bottom