Building a shark aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ...

I am just doing a cost estimate of how much it would cost to build a shark tank for three to five full grown Bull sharks. Can anyone tell me how big of a tank will be needed where sharks can be happy and what would be the initial set up and annual maintenance costs? Wild idea but would love to hear from those who know sharks better than I do.

That's a huge question to answer on this forum. Bull sharks are large animals (8 feet) that require lots of swimming space. To be happy, sharks should be able to beat their tails 3-5 times and then glide for a few body lengths, so you are talking a tank that is somewhere around 30-40 feet long in one dimension for one shark, and that is playing it conservative! They also need space to turn around, so add to that another 16 feet at least (I'd go for a circular tank as these tend to be better for the swimming continuity of the animals). Depth isn't as important, but you would want plenty for the animal to maneuver, so maybe 12' deep. Don't forget you need some kind of structure to keep the tank out of direct sunlight. Normal sized aquaria shouldn't be exposed to sun because of fluctuating water temps, but with something the size of the aquarium you propose, temperature fluctuations wouldn't be as big of an issue. However, the sharks themselves prefer some sun protection if possible, otherwise they will tan. Check with a contractor for the tank construction and don't forget to include pipes large enough to supply your filtration and life support equipment.

As for filtration, you would need to turn the full volume of the system over at least 3-6 times per hour, so a circular tank the size of the one above would be roughly 120,000 gallons, times three would give you 360,000 per hour pumping and filtration. Your filtration would be more than a standard aquarium setup, so you'd have to go with pool filters and custom built stuff. Your design should include biotowers at least 20 feet tall, multiple large pool sand filters, and a protein skimmer (custom built) at least 20 feet tall and four feet wide (guesstimates). Also, don't forget to regulate water temperature for the ambient conditions of where your local climate.

Don't forget also that you need a source of seawater. Artificial saltwater requires an extra reservoir approximately a quarter the total volume of your tank with appropriate mixing pumps. If you go the natural seawater route, you'll need a source other than Chesapeake Bay.

Finally, diet. These things won't eat pellets or flakes, you'll need to ship in some kind of fish be it mackerel, herring, squid, or otherwise. In addition, captive sharks require shark vitamins which can be purchased from companies like Mazuri.

How's that?

Google it: Bull Shark [Archive] - MonsterFishKeepers.com

some relevant info:
Bull Sharks are incredible husky, and aggressive sharks. And definitely aren't suited for any private aquarist. First they need a tank that is at least 250,000 gallons with a footprint of at least 2,800-3,000 sq.ft. Then just imagine the cost of keep a active carcharhinid shark that can grow to 11-12' long and can weight more than 660 lbs (300 kg). That over 1,500 lbs of fresh fish & seafood per year.

and:

As someone who has worked with bulls in the wild and raised them in captivity, leave them to the pros. You're looking at 500,000 gallons or more and a major life support system to keep them. You're also looking at a food bill that will cost more than a car each year. Pups are just shy of 3 feet when born. I would never keep a pup in anything less than 7,000 gallons (assuming you have a good footprint).

Adult female bulls are 12-14 foot animals that need a LOT of room to swim (males are a bit smaller). They are also a lot more dangerous to work with than other similar sharks.

Plus you have to buy/permit them:

For a Bull Shark pup - the last price I heard of was about $6,000 (U.S.). But that price was from 2-3 years ago. And requires special permits to own one.

I only know of about 3 people who can get you legal bulls in the US. And of those, none will sell to you without the proper housing for the adult size animal. I've seen legal bulls as low as $7,500, and as high as $18,000 per shark.
One seems to be: Species list from SharkSuppliers.com  -  Order sharks for your public or private aquarium from one of the oldest collectors in the business!

Based on the previous post - how many Million$$ extra do you have?

That's a huge question to answer on this forum. Bull sharks are large animals (8 feet) that require lots of swimming space. To be happy, sharks should be able to beat their tails 3-5 times and then glide for a few body lengths, so you are talking a tank that is somewhere around 30-40 feet long in one dimension for one shark, and that is playing it conservative! They also need space to turn around, so add to that another 16 feet at least (I'd go for a circular tank as these tend to be better for the swimming continuity of the animals). Depth isn't as important, but you would want plenty for the animal to maneuver, so maybe 12' deep. Don't forget you need some kind of structure to keep the tank out of direct sunlight. Normal sized aquaria shouldn't be exposed to sun because of fluctuating water temps, but with something the size of the aquarium you propose, temperature fluctuations wouldn't be as big of an issue. However, the sharks themselves prefer some sun protection if possible, otherwise they will tan. Check with a contractor for the tank construction and don't forget to include pipes large enough to supply your filtration and life support equipment.

As for filtration, you would need to turn the full volume of the system over at least 3-6 times per hour, so a circular tank the size of the one above would be roughly 120,000 gallons, times three would give you 360,000 per hour pumping and filtration. Your filtration would be more than a standard aquarium setup, so you'd have to go with pool filters and custom built stuff. Your design should include biotowers at least 20 feet tall, multiple large pool sand filters, and a protein skimmer (custom built) at least 20 feet tall and four feet wide (guesstimates). Also, don't forget to regulate water temperature for the ambient conditions of where your local climate.

Don't forget also that you need a source of seawater. Artificial saltwater requires an extra reservoir approximately a quarter the total volume of your tank with appropriate mixing pumps. If you go the natural seawater route, you'll need a source other than Chesapeake Bay.

Finally, diet. These things won't eat pellets or flakes, you'll need to ship in some kind of fish be it mackerel, herring, squid, or otherwise. In addition, captive sharks require shark vitamins which can be purchased from companies like Mazuri.

How's that?

This information is very helpful. Based on this I am thinking I would need 100 x 100 ft for three sharks to be happy. Circular shape would make my life easy because I can put it out at a traffic intersection so the cars could go around it like a round-a-bout. An overhead shade can also be made to keep the sharks from getting tanned.

Any idea how much the cost of a custom filter would be? If I go with natural sea water how often would a total water change be required?

Thanks so much.

Disclaimer: I have worked at a couple of aquariums and certainly have a basic familiarity with basic life support systems, but I am in no way qualified to engineer advanced life support systems such as the one discussed. Please do not mistake my advice as that of an expert. I have to assume this is for some kind of on-paper project or article and not a true proposal.

For filtration:

I would look into Stark sand filters as they produce large volume filters. Both aquariums I've worked at employed two Stark high rate sand filters for 25,000 gallon tanks. Extrapolating that up to your tank (100'x100' at 160 inches deep will contain 783,000 gallons) at a turnover rate of 3x's per hour, you would need a bank of 60 such filters for a closed system of your specs. The bio-tower and protein fractionator would both have to be custom made. You might be able to find a pre-made reservoir for mixing but I'm not sure where.

For an open or semi-open system with circulating natural seawater, the flow rate is dependent on any factors. The question of open- or closed-system is really dependent on the location's proximity to a clean source of sea water and ability to dispose of effluents. For a fully open system, I would shoot for similar flow rates (3 tank exchanged per hour). In Virginia even in the summer, anything more than a trickle into a semi-open system without pre-heating would chill the tank water a little more than you might want and the temperature swings in winter would be likely be too drastic to keep anything healthy. With anything short of a fully open system you would still need filtration on the system to handle the proteinous diets of large predators with high metabolisms.

if you really want the sharks to be happy then leave them in their own original natural surroundings.....the big blue sea and invest your money for an aquarium into shark conservation.
I think Captain Sinbad that you will be doing the right thing by supporting Shark conservation with your donations.

Cheers I hope this helps.

Agreed.

if you really want the sharks to be happy then leave them in their own original natural surroundings.....the big blue sea and invest your money for an aquarium into shark conservation.
I think Captain Sinbad that you will be doing the right thing by supporting Shark conservation with your donations.

Cheers I hope this helps.

Hello,

I can probably get you some pretty accurate figures regarding cost. Let me speak with my accountants in the morning to see what I paid for mine. You'll have to make some adjustments, though. I had a few 'extras' installed on mine, e.g. a special formal dinner table chair that is attached to a trap door leading to my tank. Obviously, our food prices are going to differ some; feeding mine doesn't hurt my pocketbook too badly, but the cost in 'human capital' is substantial. Also, I don't really worry too much about water quality/filtration as I live in an underwater lair so I just pump the water in. Let me get back to you after I call my people on my secure submarine phone line.

NeoByz

Hello,

I can probably get you some pretty accurate figures regarding cost. Let me speak with my accountants in the morning to see what I paid for mine. You'll have to make some adjustments, though. I had a few 'extras' installed on mine, e.g. a special formal dinner table chair that is attached to a trap door leading to my tank. Obviously, our food prices are going to differ some; feeding mine doesn't hurt my pocketbook too badly, but the cost in 'human capital' is substantial. Also, I don't really worry too much about water quality/filtration as I live in an underwater lair so I just pump the water in. Let me get back to you after I call my people on my secure submarine phone line.

NeoByz

You are such an amateur. I had freakin lasers put on the heads of my sharks. Training them to hit the right target was hard and expensive. I would check with my accountant on the cost but...ummm...he sat in the wrong chair the other night at dinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom