Building My Bucket List of Place to Dive in North and South America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok so I have been to Cozumel and Maui for most of my dives.

I like everyone's feedback in dives sites I should never miss in North and South America. Caribbean and Bahamas would count. Reasons why I should not miss those places would be helpful.

Monterey Bay, CA. Try Shore diving the Breakwater, Point Lobos, and maybe even Monastery if you gain enough local experience.
The viz may "suck", the water may be "cold", but out of the 4 locals I've dove, Monterey is the only one where I can always spot at least 5 different critters in a 4'x4' square. And that's a low number. :wink:

Did I mention we have kelp and baby sausages! err I mean chubby seals.

Oh wait, you're from San Jose, guess you can cross that one off the list. :D

If you are all right with colder waters (e.g., between 6-10 degrees Celsius or 42-50 degrees Fahrenheit), then you should someday head up to Nanaimo, BC, Canada (or Vancouver Island in general) some time around the winter or late fall (best visibility) for either shore or boat dives. Some of the most abundant sea life you may see around North America. Charter trips, you can visit numerous wrecks as well.

North Carolina.

The entire Pacific coast of NA from Alaska to Baja.

You could spend a couple weeks or more on Vancouver Island ... touring from south to north and back. Starting from the south ...

Victoria - dive the wrecks of the McKenzie and Church ... then the second day head out to Race Rocks. The former gives you two excellent wrecks prepared as reefs in easy, recreational depths. The latter is a life-filled wonder that offers a rich diversity of fish and inverterbrate life ... and if you're lucky you might get buzzed by some curious sea lions.

Nanaimo - more wrecks ... the Sasketchewan and Capt Breton. The former is sister ship to the McKenzie, but placed a bit deeper and in more nutrient-rich waters .. it's covered with life. The Breton is a larger ship, and slightly deeper still although its upper deck is in less than 100 feet, and top structure in as little as 70. Both of these vessels are covered in life. After exploring the wrecks, hit some excellent reef structure along Snake Island Wall and Jesse Island. And if tides permit, take a ride along the walls of Dodd's Narrows.

Campbell River/Quadra Island - walls, oh-my-god colors, and intense marine life. Be prepared for challenging conditions and sensory overload.

Port Hardy/Browning Pass - all roads north lead to here ... hop on a boat at Pt. Hardy, or stay at one of the two "resorts" out in the islands, and enjoy some of the best diving you'll find anywhere on the planet. I've heard it described as Quadra Island on steroids ... and that's an understatement. Life doesn't just cover the walls here ... life grows on top of the life. Due to its remote location, it's one of the few truly "unspoiled" dive destinations remaining on this planet ... and well worth the effort to get there. And topside views are nearly as worthwhile as the underwater ones, with rafts of otters, orcas, humpback whales, stellar sea lions, and pods of Pacific Whiteside dolphins commonly encountered.

Nootka Sound - head back to Campbell River and then turn west to cross the island to the inland tip of Nootka Sound. The tiny town of Tahsis offers just one dive operation, so you won't likely see another diver except those on your boat the entire time you're there. Truly wild northwest scenery, much like Port Hardy, but diving an inland fjord rather than open ocean offers different vistas and marine species. This is a great place to visit in the fall, when the salmon are running ... one of the highlights is snorkeling a local river with the spawning salmon. Just keep an eye out for bears ... they don't like the competition.

Barkley Sound - heading back south, turn across island toward Port Alberni ... or make your way around to Bamfield on the west side of the island. But my recommendation would be arranging at least a three-day stay at Rendezvous Lodge, situated on a shelf of rock in the middle of nowhere. The diving here is remote, spectacular, and completely different from anything you'll have seen up to this point. Probably one of the best chances anywhere on the island to encounter six-gill sharks. Once again, topside views are as absorbing and spectacular as the underwater views. Renate's Reef is a "must see" ... a pinnacle rising out of the depths to a depth of about 30 feet, completely covered in life and home to some of the largest ling cod I've ever encountered.

These are just the highlights ... there are numerous other diving places along the way that are also worthwhile as day trips or multi-day stopovers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Saba, N.A.
The artificial wrecks in the Florida Keys
Jupiter, Florida
Dry Tortugas, Florida
The deep side of Molassis Reef (on a perfect day), Key Largo, Florida

Bell Island Wrecks Newfoundland. Four iron ore carriers sunk by U-Boats during WWII. These protected wrecks have many artifacts and abundant sea life.
This location is often referred to as Truk North. Be prepared for cold water though.

I, like everyone else, think the places I have dove are the best. But for a bucket list, I will suggest just a few, as they are "experiences" I think are unique to the site:
1. Night Manta Ray dive, Kona. This is an indescribable must do experience. 2. Molikini hammerhead shark dive. Strong current, choppy sea, long boat ride, all worth it. 3. Any "blue hole. You can do the one off Belize, or hit several on a liveaboard in the areas south of the Bahamas. Everyone should do one blue hole anyway. 4. and 5. "Rappel" and "Alice in Wonderland", Bonaire. This dive haven has many great sites, but these two offer a look at what the coral reefs are supposed to look like, or did last time I saw them. 6. Santa Barbara Island, Channel Islands, California. Everyone should have a chance to dive the kelp forests with sea lions. I have other favorites, but these I think are unique. Once you finalize you list, I hope you'll share it here!
DivemasterDennis

Cooper River, SC....where else can ya dive and go home with 28 million years worth of history??

Grand Cayman. Hands down. Great visibility, great marine life, great shore diving, wall dives - and a shallow wreck dive (Kittiwake). If I could do all my diving there I just might ... but I'd like to try other places too, so I'll be reading all the recommendations here. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom