Building on OW cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the weight check method in the mainstream agencies where I have taught were good/accurate. This is what I do: How I weight students in open water courses. Feel free to critique. I'm only interested in getting better.
Looks very thorough to me. I have no experience at all with drysuits. Never wore one and when I was DMing the students were in 7 mil farmer johns like me (well the instructors and most other DMs were dry). For the students we just did the standard test at the ocean--Full inflate BC, hold normal breath, slowly release BC air, should float at eye level. If not, adjust, etc.
At the pool we gave them either 8 or 12 pound soft weight belts and on odd occasions added weight in pockets for a really big person. Not very exact for the pool, I know.

Looks very thorough to me. I have no experience at all with drysuits. Never wore one and when I was DMing the students were in 7 mil farmer johns like me (well the instructors and most other DMs were dry). For the students we just did the standard test at the ocean--Full inflate BC, hold normal breath, slowly release BC air, should float at eye level. If not, adjust, etc.
At the pool we gave them either 8 or 12 pound soft weight belts and on odd occasions added weight in pockets for a really big person. Not very exact for the pool, I know.

Does it make sense though? The breakdown of the weights into different measurable values? I have followed what others and came up with this.

You could say, why not weight my students in wetsuits the same way as drysuit? The answer is to avoid avoidable time in the water so the time they are wet, they are doing something.

Minimal weighting is so critically important to not overload students with changes in buoyancy when their depth changes.

When I used to teach confined water in a pool, after finishing the float and swim tests, I’d have them put in their scuba kits without weights. I’d hand them weights slowly that they hold at their waist or weight pockets. Eventually they sink on exhale and float midwater. If they are foot heavy, I put some of their weights in trim pockets.

Because they are holding onto the weights, they cannot scull with their hands. Because I do this gradually, they relax in the water and are comfortable being trim in the water, floating off the bottom.

Even the lip and oral inflation and hover doesn’t require to put students on the bottom. You can have them descend and do this, having them hovering off the bottom.

I have found that this accelerates people’s learning. Most of this comes from the longtime PADI instructors who are active here. It can be done. It should be done.

If you find ways that I can improve, my ears are open.

Maybe I was just lucky in that what I chose to wear with my 7 mil farmer john wetsuit was fairly close to correct, as my buoyancy was good in a very short time.

It's not luck, it's skill. Buoyancy is not actually tied to weighting, except when you don't have enough to submerge or more than the BC can lift. Proper weighting utilizes the optimum weight to insure the ability to maintain a safety/deco stop after the tank is empty, and to minimize the BC air bubble for easier control of buoyancy when shallow.

When I freedive for Abalone, I weight to be neutral at 15'. When tank diving I adjust the weight for my rig, and check after the dive at 15', 300-500# in the tank, and an empty BC.

If I find a 10# anchor on my dive, I'll pick it up and maintain neutral buoyancy back to the beach although I will be quite overweighted at that point. A grossly overweighted diver is doing the same trick only he doesn't know it. Buoyancy is about balancing forces, if it was about weight a submarine would just be a Jules Verne story.

Bob

IA grossly overweighted diver is doing the same trick only he doesn't know it. Buoyancy is about balancing forces, if it was about weight a submarine would just be a Jules Verne story.

The problem is that with new divers having buoyancy changes with depth changes, is the additional force changes caused by the extra gas required to compensate for that extra weight. Experienced divers can handle it. It is the new ones who typically cannot.

The problem is that with new divers having buoyancy changes with depth changes, is the additional force changes caused by the extra gas required to compensate for that extra weight. Experienced divers can handle it. It is the new ones who typically cannot.
Yeah. I have read that experienced divers sometimes purposely overweight themselves see how good they are at compensating. When I swim back to shore I sometimes swim within 3 feet of the surface where the pressure change is greatest-- or hover there. I always assisted during warm weather months and wonder if the weight check when I was certified was skipped because it was November.

...wonder if the weight check when I was certified was skipped because it was November.

When I started, I was too much by the book and my students suffered because of it. I didn’t know any better. And the results speak for themselves. Few of my early students kept diving in cold water. Most of my most recent students have kept diving.

Unfortunately, other than RAID, I don’t see Instructor materials on proper weighting by mainstream agencies and that is a problem.

I hope some upcoming instructors read this and learn from my mistakes. We have to do better for the sake of our customers and our sport.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/building-on-ow-cert.570992/reply?quote=8490485

Regarding the comments in the quoted post about a swim under an outcrop at 61 ft take a look at the following on youtube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDy50pI8jiw.
This is one of the cave dives where they only ask for AOW + watch you do a dive. Some of the dives in this area have a bottom at 70m + (230 ft) so you have to be very careful on Nitrox 26 or 32 not to accidentally go deep and exceed a safe MOD. The can also be quite strong currents in the caves that build quickly and can carry you down after passing over domed outcrops.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/building-on-ow-cert.570992/reply?quote=8490485

Regarding the comments in the quoted post about a swim under an outcrop at 61 ft take a look at the following on youtube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDy50pI8jiw.
This is one of the cave dives where they only ask for AOW + watch you do a dive. Some of the dives in this area have a bottom at 70m + (230 ft) so you have to be very careful on Nitrox 26 or 32 not to accidentally go deep and exceed a safe MOD. The can also be quite strong currents in the caves that build quickly and can carry you down after passing over domed outcrops.

Well, that looks reckless and stupid. What's the dive OP that does such a thing so I can avoid them in the future?

Well, that looks reckless and stupid. What's the dive OP that does such a thing so I can avoid them in the future?
That appears to be on the island of Rhodes in Greece. Lindos is a popular village on the east side of the island.

Classic case of normalization if deviance. But I feel the same about my cavern dives that I was on when I was AOW certified with 40-ish dives. That was classic Dunning-Kruger on my part.

Yes that is Rhodes, I am thinking of going there in May. I see no point in naming the op as from what I am finding out is that the great majority of dive ops have this "lax" attitude to diver qualifications. That is not to say they are necessarily unsafe. The guides are usually very competent and very familiar with the dive sites. Although lax in some respects I have seen them refuse dives to people who are certified but have not been diving for a while and also refuse people who are drunk. From the comments made about my posts from several Americans I think they would get quite a surprise at what goes on in southern european holiday diving.

Back
Top Bottom