Building on OW cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes that is Rhodes, I am thinking of going there in May. I see no point in naming the op as from what I am finding out is that the great majority of dive ops have this "lax" attitude to diver qualifications. That is not to say they are necessarily unsafe. The guides are usually very competent and very familiar with the dive sites. Although lax in some respects I have seen them refuse dives to people who are certified but have not been diving for a while and also refuse people who are drunk. From the comments made about my posts from several Americans I think they would get quite a surprise at what goes on in southern european holiday diving.
Fortunately, the likelihood of catastrophic gas loss is very unlikely. Plus the odds that it would occur at the deepest point in the cave when cylinder pressure at its lowest makes it extremely unlikely.

But that doesn’t mean it is safe. Just playing the odds that are in one’s favor that normalizes deviant behavior.

Yes that is Rhodes, I am thinking of going there in May. I see no point in naming the op as from what I am finding out is that the great majority of dive ops have this "lax" attitude to diver qualifications. That is not to say they are necessarily unsafe. The guides are usually very competent and very familiar with the dive sites. Although lax in some respects I have seen them refuse dives to people who are certified but have not been diving for a while and also refuse people who are drunk. From the comments made about my posts from several Americans I think they would get quite a surprise at what goes on in southern european holiday diving.

The video linked showed unsafe diving. Going diving in a cave, with no cave training, and in only rec gear, is inherently unsafe, regardless of how well the guide knows the site. That "nobody's died there yet" doesn't make it safe, it makes it a place that no one has been unlucky in so far.

I wondered if that might be little more than a giant swim-through. If I Googled correctly, it sounds like that dive is 15 minutes end to end "in the cave."
So, not just a simple swim-through.

The Great cave of Lindos in the Rocky Hill Under the Tomb of Cleobulus (one of the 7 sages of ancient Greece). The Entrance to the first dome is at 17 m depth. Following a corridor about 2m wide we reach the second and greater dome. At this second dome a second exit at approx. 30m, leads out on the wall of Lindos. The duration in the cave is approximately 15 minutes. Highlight the enormous schools of shrimps living in the cave and the breathtaking deep blue as we see the second exit.

Thanks for that info. I have now booked holiday there 9 to 16 May. I will make up my mind whether to dive this cave or not once I have some dive experience with the Op. 15 minute duration would I think mean decent size pony or some other extra precautions.

Unlike George Bush in Iraq and Afghanistan I would hope to put an effective exit strategy in place before embarking on the expedition.

Thanks for that info. I have now booked holiday there 9 to 16 May. I will make up my mind whether to dive this cave or not once I have some dive experience with the Op. 15 minute duration would I think mean decent size pony or some other extra precautions.

What is your RMV? What is the expected cylinder pressure going to be halfway through the cave? How far will you get with a pony with an elevated RMV? At the switchover point, will you and the donor have enough air to make it out of the cave and to the surface? What wil you do if your dive buddy has an emergency and doesn’t have a pony?

Have you practiced sharing air the dark?

Have you considered sidemount with an excellent instructor and then be willing to just pay for extra cylinders?

Without having a look through my dive log and a bit of a think I do not know my exact RMV, it is a bit on the high side but no where near as bad as some. I am big with big lungs. It may be a case of carrying an extra full sized cylinder with regs. Certainly a single 12 or 15L tank could be a bit marginal for 15 mins in a cave, does not leave much in hand.

Without having a look through my dive log and a bit of a think I do not know my exact RMV, it is a bit on the high side but no where near as bad as some. I am big with big lungs. It may be a case of carrying an extra full sized cylinder with regs. Certainly a single 12 or 15L tank could be a bit marginal for 15 mins in a cave, does not leave much in hand.
Do you see where I’m trying to lead you with my questions? Chances are, nothing happens, but if it does, someone will most likely die. And that’s going to be one grisly death in that cave.

Do you see where I’m trying to lead you with my questions? Chances are, nothing happens, but if it does, someone will most likely die. And that’s going to be one grisly death in that cave.

I have my cavern diver certification (not cave at this point, probably in the future though) and will be passing 100 dives soon(ish), but I wouldn't do the dive in that video with the equipment shown under any circumstances. Way too risky for me knowing what I know about the hazards.

I have my cavern diver certification (not cave at this point, probably in the future though) and will be passing 100 dives soon(ish), but I wouldn't do the dive in that video with the equipment shown under any circumstances. Way too risky for me knowing what I know about the hazards.
I’m sure you were trained in great detail on gas management and handling. I encourage people to run the numbers for worst case scenario. Caves are just so unforgivable. Unfortunately there is no data for how much people’s gas consumption increases under stress (for obvious reasons). Some people will be calm. For myself, I assume triple. That may not be enough. I do know that when when I’m really stressed as I was in a solo dive in unknown waters, it went up 50ish percent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom