Building the Olympus EM5 & Nauticam housing + lens'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Everyone

I'm just starting to piece together the bits I need for my EM5 & Nauticam housing...

1) Is the 12-50mm the lens I should get - this seems to be the one everyone talks about

2) Is the 60mm the best I can get for macro, or should I be looking for something else

3) I already have a diopter with the 67mm thread, so can that be used in addition to the 60mm to get more magnification

4) I already have a dome port, it's heavy!
because it has the dome over the top of the wide angle [Inon UWL-H100 & Inon Dome Unit II]

If I screw this into the Nauticam port could it be too heavy and compromise the seal between the housing and the port

Thanks very much

Venus

Hi Everyone

I'm just starting to piece together the bits I need for my EM5 & Nauticam housing...

1) Is the 12-50 mm the lens I should get - this seems to be the one everyone talks about

2) Is the 60 mm the best I can get for macro, or should I be looking for something else

3) I already have two diopters with the 67mm thread, so can that be used in addition to the 60mm to get more magnification

4) I already have a dome port, it's heavy!
because it has the dome over the top of the wide angle [Inon UWL-H100 & Inon Dome Unit II]

If I screw this into the Nauticam port could it be too heavy and compromise the seal between the housing and the port

Thanks very much

Venus
1. Well I have it and the special port (just purchased in July). It is the most versatile lense. You could get a 45mm prime.
2. I think so. It fits in the same port as the 12-50.
3. you need an adapter to the 77mm threads of the 12-50 port if you have it. I got the Nauticam flip diopter myself - i don't want to be screwing on and off during a dive although I have a +5 Subsea and a +5 Inon. I've only taken the 60 mm out on a couple of dives so far.
4. Can you do that? I'm not familiar with that set up. I think it is more usual to get a wide angle prime or zoom and port. Have you searched the threads? Check this thread on using wet wide angle with 4/3 and dslr systems.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ol...t-work-4-3-dslr-systems-example-pictures.html

Inon Dome port will not work with this setup.

Best option for WA but a bit expensive is the Pany 7-14mm lens and the Nauticam 6" dome port.

You are on the right track. Just for reference here is a very complete package, but there are still things you could add to it.
System Packages :: Ultimate System Packages :: Optical Ocean Nauticam OM-D & YS-D1 Ultimate Package -

Yes the 60mm is the best macro 4/3 lens on the market right now. If you want to do Super Macro you can add a +5 or +10 diopter.
Lenses & Filters :: Macro Diopter Lenses -
For ease of use a diopter holders make life easy.
Lenses & Filters :: Lens Holders & Adapters -

No Cropping, EM5, Nauticam, Oly 60mm, Subsee +10

The 12-50mm is a unique lens as it comes closest to being able to "do it all" but as mentioned comes at a price, $800 for the port and gear. But like all things that are "good all-around" it is not "great" at the ends. Not as good as the 60mm, Lumix 8mm, 7-14, or could be argued the 9-18mm. Flexibility comes at a price in photography.

As mentioned you will not/should not use a wet wide angle lens on this system. For interchangeable camera systems you use Camera Lenses and Ports to get the most out of the system.

Adding a diopter to your system is a easy choice. Picking a wide angle lens a little tougher depending on budget and how Wide you want to go. I shoot the Lumix 8mm and think it is great but it strictly a landscape, very big animal lens.

I went with the 60mm macro and a 8mm fish eye and of course the stock 14-42mm lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom