Bulb for Surge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmorriss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The bulb in the gf's surge has finally kicked the bucket after 8 years, I was just curious as to what the standard replacement is.

P-Tec has a lifetime warranty...I think they will replace it.

just google for 'princeton tec surge bulb' and they're all over the place. (Which I don't think would be the case if they replaced bulbs under warranty?)

this is actually a change from a couple years ago, I have a surge that needs a bulb and when I was looking they were very hard to find and more expensive than I see now.

just google for 'princeton tec surge bulb' and they're all over the place. (Which I don't think would be the case if they replaced bulbs under warranty?)

this is actually a change from a couple years ago, I have a surge that needs a bulb and when I was looking they were very hard to find and more expensive than I see now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same bulb in the torrent or something similar-in which case I will add it to my LP order later on-I just hate paying $5 for shipping on small stuff like light bulbs. The only thing that makes it worse is seeing the US mail envelope show up with the $.93 postage charge stamped on it :shakehead:

yeah, some places refer to it as for torrent/surge. My theory is, it just looked like the bulbs had disappeared after they discontinued the surge, when really they just weren't advertised as such for awhile.

(We've had bad luck with surge bulbs and I wanted to move to LED anyway, so finally replaced both of ours with Torrent LEDs. The way the bulb goes into the Surge is just such poor design.)

yeah, some places refer to it as for torrent/surge. My theory is, it just looked like the bulbs had disappeared after they discontinued the surge, when really they just weren't advertised as such for awhile.

(We've had bad luck with surge bulbs and I wanted to move to LED anyway, so finally replaced both of ours with Torrent LEDs. The way the bulb goes into the Surge is just such poor design.)

She has the adventure box set from when she was back in High School-decent for the time but My C4 led shockwave throughs as much light as her c8 and doesn't hang like a lead brick in your hands PLUS it last longer. I am looking to get a LED torrent as a 1st order backup (want a switched rather then twist :wink: ) but I can't justify spending another $60 for her when we won't be needing her to have 3 lights any time soon.

And yea, I was afraid I was going to break the stems off the bulb pulling it out last night.

And yea, I was afraid I was going to break the stems off the bulb pulling it out last night.
there's that but I've also had the opposite problem. One spontaneously broke/melted(?) off while diving, they replaced the guts of both our surges with slightly redesigned guts. Had another bulb just fall out of the updated version, again UW.

Of course the melting incident was the only time I've ever had to use my Surge as a backup because my primary had gone paws up. Oh well, at least it was a full moon...

there's that but I've also had the opposite problem. One spontaneously broke/melted(?) off while diving, they replaced the guts of both our surges with slightly redesigned guts. Had another bulb just fall out of the updated version, again UW.

Of course the melting incident was the only time I've ever had to use my Surge as a backup because my primary had gone paws up. Oh well, at least it was a full moon...

That shave a few minutes off your life :D

To answer some of the questions regarding the Surge, Surge Bulbs, and Torrent Xenon:

The Surge bulbs are still available and will fit both the old surge and the new Torrent Xenon. The Princeton Tec Manufacturing Part number is S-8 and is available through any Authorized Dealer.

If for any reason your surge is broken (short of dead batteries or blown bulb) please contact Princeton Tec and we can get your light replaced under warranty.

Yes, we do have a lifetime warranty and will be more than happy to discuss any problems with any light.

Back
Top Bottom