Bull Shark Diving in Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexico Blue Dream does a no chum bull shark dive with Al the Dive Master.

I am on record as not being an advocate of the PDC Bull Shark dive, and as noted in the linked thread above, embarrassed that I actually did it.

Whether the dive op you go with actively chums or not, you are going on a chum-influenced dive that subsequently puts the Bull Sharks at risk to poachers.

Don't patronize the PDC Bull Shark dive!

Hello, I'm new to the board so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. But has anyone ever done the bull shark dive in Playa Del Carmen? I'm going in a couple weeks and have been reading horror stories about it. I've done the Stuart's Cove shark feed in the Bahamas, but I hear bull sharks are more likely to attack than Caribbean reef. Anyway, just let me know!

Welcome to the forum..

Dove off playa. It wasn't a 'bullshark dive' but the bullsharks didn't get the memo and showed up anyway. Looking curious and appeared to be expecting food. Magnificent animals anyway. I enjoyed their interaction and watching the power in their movements. Great experience.

Haven't heard any horror stories particularly recently, no deaths or injuries. Did a quick google.

Regards,
Cameron

The Bull sharks in Playa this time of year a very pregnant females for the most part. They are hopped up on hormones so as not to eat their young when they calve and are very docile(for a 500 lb top of the food chain carnivore}. This is what I'm told by the shop I dove with last year that was doing shark dives. I figure there are exceptions to the rule and usually most of these outfits require you to be an experienced diver before hand.
I just did reefs and didn't get to see a single shark, rats!!!

Seems like feeding sharks is as bad an idea as feeding bears. Watch the documentary Sharkwater for an in depth view of real shark behavior. I was pleasantly surprised about hammerheads, but saddened by shark finning and the decimation of sharks worldwide (90%)

I did end up doing this, man what an awesome and peaceful experience. only bad thing is there was an air bubble caught in between my red filter lens and my gopro lens, so all my photos look like this haha

+1 for loving to see sharks - in their natural habitat.

You want something thrilling? Go skydiving.

- Bill
Yes, Skydiving is amazing! My first dive reminded me a lot of skydiving. In my opinion, diving has been much more rewarding because the variety of what you see underwater. However, everyone should skydive at least once in their lifetime!! I only did it 32x, but it was a helluva experience for sure!! :)

I did end up doing this, man what an awesome and peaceful experience. only bad thing is there was an air bubble caught in between my red filter lens and my gopro lens, so all my photos look like this haha

Picture is still great Dr Love!! Glad you did see a shark(s) and maybe it changed your opinion on attacks? :).

Back
Top Bottom