Bull shoals spearfishing trip???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bell47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm trying to plan a spear fishing trip to Bull shoals in North AR. Does anyone have any suggestions for dive shops, restaurants, lodging, boat rentals(preferably pontoon boats), bars, ect........

What would be the best time of year to do this trip? Winter diving is fine with us as we all have drysuits and dive year 'round in Maine.

Would anyone suggest another lake that has better spear fishing?

Thanks, Lee

I'm trying to plan a spear fishing trip to Bull shoals in North AR. Does anyone have any suggestions for dive shops, restaurants, lodging, boat rentals(preferably pontoon boats), bars, ect........

What would be the best time of year to do this trip? Winter diving is fine with us as we all have drysuits and dive year 'round in Maine.

Would anyone suggest another lake that has better spear fishing?

Thanks, Lee

I've dove Bull Shoals, but friends had the boat, and we camped out, so I'm not able to give commercial references. My Favorite lake is south of there, Lake Ouachita, near Hot Springs. Winter months will make it harder to find resorts, restaurants, dive shops open on the lake, but are available in Hot Springs.

I was at Ouachita,with friends and rented a houseboat. . . Spearfishing was excellent for game and rough fish. We speared a walleye and a stripper for supper. Check with the Arkansas wildlife department for seasons and lake rules for fish regulations. We used Brady Mountain and Hills Lake Escapes, Hillslake Houseboat Rental. There are other houseboat rental locations and most have pontoon rental.

Lake Ouachita is in the Ouachita National Forest and the visibility is usually excellent. The benefit of renting a houseboat is the hundreds of islands with sandy areas to tie up the boat. Instant private island. If it matters there are sunken school buses to look for with GPS coordinates, boats, golf carts.

Lake Ouachita is a favorite destination for out of state visitors, and less crowded with locals that have many other lakes and rivers to hunt or fish. Nearby lake DeGray is a smaller lake with good diving, fishing. . . but has fewer businesses for travelers.

I'm gona put my two cents in as I dive year around on Norfork and Bull Shoals.
their are three ready LSD's on Norfork and one in town.
Bull Shoals has one LDS on the lake with many place's to eat and stay right on the lake.
both are farly easy to get a pontoon year around.
and it depends on what you are after right now as far as to witch lake is better on fishing!

This year it was better for walleye on BS. were as it was better catfishing on NF.
both are Bass heaven! a record 85 LB cat was pulled by the dam on NF.

time of year does matter on both lake's. right now we are having a bit of flooding and viz is ok. and when I mean ok its about 4-6 in places. :depressed:

the best time is March - June as the lake's are cold and viz is at it's best! you can go really deep during this time and fishing season is closed till June 15th.
before I forget you can not hunt Bass on either lake.

LDS's on Norfork

Jordan Marina 870-499-7348 Jordan Marina on Lake Norfork ~ Mountain Home, Arkansas

A Scuba'AH Shoppe 870-499-5718 A Scuba AH Shoppe - we put the Ah! in Scuba

Scuba-Doo 870-492-530 ScubaDoo Dive Shop

Lake norfork Scuba 870-425-2800 Lake Norfork Scuba

LDS's on Bull shoals

Bull Shoals Lake boat dock 870-445-4424 1.Bull Shoals Lake Boat Dock Houseboat Rentals

well I hope this helps out your search and maby I'll see you around!
also try out Beaver lake it also has great diving and a hoast of shop's and place's to stay an eat. :D

I'm going on a diving trip to bull shoals in early May, what kind of visiblity can I expect assuming there is no flooding or excessive rain?
...I know this is an old post, but I gotta ask.

It's a crap shoot. Anywhere between 5-30 feet. I had 20+ the last time I was there in the spring. When you get back don't forget to post your vis report at the site in my signiture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom