bummed ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had been training for about 10 ish weeks for a 1/2 marathon. I was ready and in shape so I thought I would work on my speed a bit- messed up my knee and ended up having to run the 3K instead. I was heart broke.
3 things come to mind:
1. Hills a killers on shins. I run on flat areas where I live. My best friend lives in Austin, which is very hilly. When I visit we always run and I always get shin problems. You may want to find some flat areas to run on for a few months.
2. Someone said you should see a sports doc. I agree with this, and you should have him tell you what kind of shoes you should be wearing- then get new ones about every 3-5 months, depending on how much you run.
3. Look into the Pose running method. I use it for about 1/2 of any given run, and it is much easier on my joints. Takes a lot of getting used to if, like me, you are the typical heel to toe runner.
Spencer

All of the conditions just mentioned are the product of one thing, and one thing alone. You violated the rules of your body and your tissues could not take it.

Overuse injuries, chronic pain, etc, they are all signs that your body is not dealing well with the routine and the imposed loads are too much too soon. With proper training (covering all aspects of conditioning including a resistance & strength training program for your goals) your body will adapt and get stronger. Exceed or neglect any of those and your tissues will fail.

Bob, I'm sending you a PM. I hope you recover soon. Best of luck!

Thanks for the referral and the encouragement. I'm going to be proactive about this, in all respects.

I want to be healthy enough to train for, and run, the race in December.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi there Bob -

Like you I am getting into running after a very long break (in my case 15 years). I've been running for 10 months now with no injuries and found the following points useful:

I still only run only 3-4 times a week: rest days are just as important as running days, and I commonly use use non running days for strength training, swimming or walking. Some studies showed that, for a group of people starting a running program, there was no difference in aerobic capacity at the end of a 12 week period between those who ran 3,5 or 7 times a week: the extra running may make you stronger but 3 times a week will improve your aerobic fitness just as much and allow your body time to adapt.

Using a heart monitor really helped: I was surprised just how light the exercise could be and still keep my heart rate in the training zone. The monitor also tracks improvements over time in my fitness and allows me to upload my exercises to a training diary that helps keep motivation up.

A long term view: I really don't care how fast or slow I am at the moment: the big issue is just how much fitter I will be in November: the 1st year anniversary of my exercise program. I will get around to doing races next year some time when I feel up to it.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Hi there Bob -

Like you I am getting into running after a very long break (in my case 15 years). I've been running for 10 months now with no injuries and found the following points useful:

I still only run only 3-4 times a week: rest days are just as important as running days, and I commonly use use non running days for strength training, swimming or walking. Some studies showed that, for a group of people starting a running program, there was no difference in aerobic capacity at the end of a 12 week period between those who ran 3,5 or 7 times a week: the extra running may make you stronger but 3 times a week will improve your aerobic fitness just as much and allow your body time to adapt.

Using a heart monitor really helped: I was surprised just how light the exercise could be and still keep my heart rate in the training zone. The monitor also tracks improvements over time in my fitness and allows me to upload my exercises to a training diary that helps keep motivation up.

A long term view: I really don't care how fast or slow I am at the moment: the big issue is just how much fitter I will be in November: the 1st year anniversary of my exercise program. I will get around to doing races next year some time when I feel up to it.

Cheers,
Rohan.
I started using a constant read heart rate monitor about 1ish years ago and love it. I don't have the pc upload feature though.
You have a good running attitude.
I usually do a few 3,5, and 10 K's each year and 1 1/2 marathon(my fav being the 10K). I never care about my time- just have fun in the knowledge that I can finish.
(I posted above under "BigGirl" on accident. My wife had logged on and didn't log out.)
Spencer

Back
Top Bottom