Bummer, take II....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well, it's my turn for surgery...

For those who know (and don't know), I've been suffering from pretty severe sleep apnea for the better part of 8-9 months now. I've had a few sleep studies done, been outfitted with a CPAP machine, and have been put on Flonase to help open the nasal passages.

Unfortunately, this has not worked. My "sleep doctor" seems to be more about "throwing meds at the symptoms" and "stabbing at other possible causes" rather than treating the known issues. I went to an ENT twice in the last month, and he is suggesting a septoplasty to fix my badly deviated septum.

The good news is that it will allow me to breathe much easier, will probably cure my constant sinus issues and will most likely cure my sleep apnea, if not, at least reduce it tremendously.

The bad news is that it is surgery, and with any surgery, there are risks. Also, I will be out of work for a week (is that really bad news? :D), and I have heard rumors throughout the dive community that some divers aren't able to dive again until at least 6-8 weeks after the surgery. If this is true, it would have me missing out on DUI Demo Days.

I have scheduled the procedure for 4/12, so that I can convalesce during Easter break week and miss as little "while school is in session" work as possible. I'll keep everyone updated, but rest assured that as soon as I am able, I will be back in the water, diving like a madman again.

I know two people who have had the operation and both say their only regret is that they did not do it sooner. Good Luck and remember; it's not how many dives you make this year that's important, it's how many dives you make this life.

D-
Glad to hear they're doing something to fix it!! Sorry to hear it's surgery!! But if it fixes it, it'll be worth it!! I hope you can still make Dog Days! Get well soon!
Heather.

Derek,
I had the surgery 1 year ago and don't regret it at all. I has my tonsils, adnoids and uvula removed, soft palate trimmed and a nasal septalplasty all at the same time. I sleep better, am more rested and its even much easier to clear when diving (i used to have some ear issues). I waited 6 weeks before diving again, and probally should have waited a few more, but its doable if you take it easy. Good luck with your surgery and if you have any questions i'd be happy to answer what i can.

Dan Everett
GCFD61@aol.com

Has your doctor thought though the possible risks??

Such as, how will you survive a week off of work without diving?? :wink:
You won't know what to do with yourself!! :06:

Hope you recover quickly!!!
If there is anything I can do to help, let me know!!

Rick

Tavi:
Has your doctor thought though the possible risks??

Such as, how will you survive a week off of work without diving?? :wink:
You won't know what to do with yourself!! :06:

Hope you recover quickly!!!
If there is anything I can do to help, let me know!!

Rick

That's what the SB is for...to prevent Diving Withdrawal...:D :D

I didn't have the (dignosed) sleep apnea, but did have chronic tonsillitis and snored LOUDLY everynight due to throat occlusion and felt terrible the next day. Those tonsils and adenoids came out...no more sore throats or snoring. Hubby says he wishes I would have had it done years ago! My ENT is great...love him! He did a great job.

Good luck with your surgery...we'll all try to put in an extra dive or 2 to make up for your sick-leave!

Well, I'm home and the surgery went well. I'm learning just how painful it is to have one's nose broken, but I feel good that I did the right thing.

Thanks for the well wishes all.

Derek

Derek S:
Well, I'm home and the surgery went well. I'm learning just how painful it is to have one's nose broken, but I feel good that I did the right thing.

Thanks for the well wishes all.
Derek

Geez Derek...if all you wanted was your nose broken...I'd have done it for free...:D :D

But that's just because I'm such a nice guy...:D

Hope you heal fast...and get back in the water soon....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom