bump key? Counterfeit cert card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
"bump key' was mentioned in a different thread. I think it has something to do with cave diving.

(1) What is a bump key?

Also personally wondering...

(2) I have heard underage kids can get pretty realistic "fake" driver's license for $10.00. Do you think it is possible that someone with the right office equipment could forge a scuba cert card?

A bump key is a key that is inserted into a lock with the intent of forcing the lock open. It is used along with a technique called "bumping" where you apply slight pressure to the lock while bumping the key which causes the tumblers to "jump" into place that allow you to open the lock. It basically takes the place of a rake or a picking gun when picking locks.

Yes, I think someone could pretty easily forge a c-card with the right equipment, especially if presenting it someplace not used to seeing such a card (i.e. a cave card in a warm tropical ocean setting).

especially since at least my cave cards don't have pics...

A quick pic with a cell phone camera and I think one could be forged pretty easy....even if one had to insert a self pic.

I've shown photocopied cards before. I went out of the country and forgot to take my c-cards and had a buddy fax them to me. Dive ops didn't bat an eye and those could be easily faked.

"bump key' was mentioned in a different thread. I think it has something to do with cave diving.

(1) What is a bump key?

Also personally wondering...

(2) I have heard underage kids can get pretty realistic "fake" driver's license for $10.00. Do you think it is possible that someone with the right office equipment could forge a scuba cert card?

If you do a web search, you'll probably find someone willing to sell you a forged C-Card. My experiance is the dive charters in the US are double checking certs with the dive agencies via internet.

Anyone stupid enough to use a forged c-card ... particularly to gain access to caves ... deserves a Darwin Award ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is possible to forge a c-card, and very easily. I do some printing on the side, and I have a card printer that is capable of doing the c-cards. I have had people ask me to print up various fakes, I inform them that I DO NOT do forged documents, and will never do them for even ungodly amounts of money.

Piece of cake, but why would anyone bother? I've made numerous valid IDs for myself in Photoshop.

It is possible to forge a c-card, and very easily. I do some printing on the side, and I have a card printer that is capable of doing the c-cards. I have had people ask me to print up various fakes, I inform them that I DO NOT do forged documents, and will never do them for even ungodly amounts of money.

Would you be willing to make fun c-cards?

Something with dive club logo and for trivial event such as underwater pumpkin carving event?

If so, how much per card? (looking for event as a fun giveaway)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom