Bungee for bkup without the long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmgmg:
That looks like a Halcyon wing? If so, the inflator seems to be the older type (red in color). The guys at Halcyon tech support seem to scoff at that but can replace that with a newer black plastic version for free. If you want to go stainless, you'll have to fork over $40ish.

Thanks for the tip.

It is a Halcyon...but it's got a lot of mileage...and the inflator still works fine.

...guess I'll just leave it be.

JimC:
Yeah, most divers don't dive solo and want an air share to be somewhat comfortable. While 7 may be overkill your looking at somewhere around 36-40" inches at least. Honestly you have 3 choices that aren't a cluser.

36"-40", with elbow, under pit, into mouth
5'-6', under pit, around head and into mouth
6'-8', tucked into belt/under can light, acros chest, around head and into mouth

If you invent some other way to route a hose that dousn't involve some god awfull contortions I'd love to see it.

Since a picture is worth a few thousand words, could you provide a few pictures with the 5-6' and 6-8' options.

Zero:
Thanks Jonnythan!

BTW, Are you using Apeks XT100 secondarys?
Apeks TX40s. The ATX series is a bit newer, and the second stages are a little smaller and lighter. I belive the only difference between a 40 and 100 second stage is that the 100s have adjustment knobs.

I am having a hard time understanding why anyone wouldn't want the 7 foot hose, even in an open overhead environment. The ability to have a little room while sharing air seems a lot safer than being arm-in-arm and trying to control your ascent. My wife who will never dive tech, or dive caves and is more of a resort diver realized that she had to have that long hose just watching me and my instructor going through the drills. 60' or 160' from the surface, sharing air shouldn't prevent you from reaching or managing all of your gear during ascent. How easy is it to watch that depth gage and control your bc/bp/wing during the ascent with that short hose?. OK maybe you can control yours, but what about the person who is now attached to you via your octo?

And as for the yellow faceplate, I think that the faceplate color would be the last thing going throught mind of a person who can no longer breath......

Cheers

Gilless:
I am having a hard time understanding why anyone wouldn't want the 7 foot hose, even in an open overhead environment. The ability to have a little room while sharing air seems a lot safer than being arm-in-arm and trying to control your ascent. My wife who will never dive tech, or dive caves and is more of a resort diver realized that she had to have that long hose just watching me and my instructor going through the drills. 60' or 160' from the surface, sharing air shouldn't prevent you from reaching or managing all of your gear during ascent. How easy is it to watch that depth gage and control your bc/bp/wing during the ascent with that short hose?. OK maybe you can control yours, but what about the person who is now attached to you via your octo?

And as for the yellow faceplate, I think that the faceplate color would be the last thing going throught mind of a person who can no longer breath......

Cheers

Good points. Now try doing air sharing with those new inflator/octopus configs ... do I push this button or that to inflate ... opps

I, for one, use the the 7 ft long hose and the second reg on a bungee necklace. Just though of another benefit, with a 7 foot long hose, you can take your entire rig off, turnaround, check for leaks or stuck valves ... naw too much trouble.

Looking at the points from everyone I have to ask that on your bungee reg how many of you have it rigged to pull away from you with a force of a panicky diver should they happen to grab that instead of the one in your mouth (long hose). My opinion here is that you wear the bungee and have it secured with the intent to offer the long hose but also to have the ability for it to be pulled away from you (the short hose) if it were grabbed. Here are some pictures of the correct way and the wrong way for tieing the bungee (imo). The first pics show the loop and the placement onto the 2nd stage short hose around the mouth piece, the correct way. The next pics show it secured using the tie-wrap of the 2nd stage mouth piece, the wrong way

GDI:
Looking at the points from everyone I have to ask that on your bungee reg how many of you have it rigged to pull away from you with a force of a panicky diver should they happen to grab that instead of the one in your mouth (long hose). My opinion here is that you wear the bungee and have it secured with the intent to offer the long hose but also to have the ability for it to be pulled away from you (the short hose) if it were grabbed. Here are some pictures of the correct way and the wrong way for tieing the bungee (imo). The first pics show the loop and the placement onto the 2nd stage short hose around the mouth piece. The next pics show it secured using the tie-wrap of the 2nd stage mouth piece

I assume the first pics are the correct way to rig versus using the tie-wrap? How much force will the loop version require to pop it off the reg? Can you show me how to create that loop?

I guess if the bungee is rigged the wrong way in that it doesn't pull away and if the panicky diver loses his grip on the reg, the reg would come slamming back at you (ala those cartoon skits .... boing ...). Ouch.

cmgmg:
I assume the first pics are the correct way to rig versus using the tie-wrap? How much force will the loop version require to pop it off the reg? Can you show me how to create that loop?

I guess if the bungee is rigged the wrong way in that it doesn't pull away and if the panicky diver loses his grip on the reg, the reg would come slamming back at you (ala those cartoon skits .... boing ...). Ouch.
Boing can happen ouch isn't that bad!

Two knots on either end then overlaped and secured by another knot making the loop

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom