Bungee mount for Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I didn't like the stock elastic wrist straps on my Petrel. I searched around on here and couldn't find any good directions with pictures on how to make a bungee mount for it, so I came up with my own last night. I had some 1" nylon webbing laying around. And some thin bungee cord. A couple of minutes to poke 4 holes in the webbing with a fine tip soldering iron, thread the webbing (1" is just a little bit too wide for the Petrel strap slots but I made it work and now the webbing definitely does not let the Petrel slide around on the straps at all), and tie up the bungee and I think it's going to work nicely. The bungee cord is tied so it's snug on my bare arm, but I can slide the knots down easily to make it looser to fit over my dry suit.

Kudos to buddhasummer for the inspiration on this. His pics of how he did the bungee mount for a compass on the back of his hand are what gave me the idea for how to do these so they are adjustable.

Any suggestions for refinement are encouraged!

2015-11-12%2023.29.37.jpg

2015-11-12%2023.30.02.jpg

Last edited:
Nice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, think I'll give it a try too. By the way, buddhasummer is a he not a she.

Last edited:
Quite nice! Inspiring. I'm a "finish freak", so I probably would use some grommets in the webbing. It would however make it permanent as you would need to cut them out to get the webbing out of the slots.

Love it. Hate having to ask my buddy to attach those clips. Very nice solution Stuart! Thanks.

Nice, think I'll give it a try too. By the way, buddhasummer is a he not a she.

Oh, crap! My sincerest apologies! I am really sorry about that! :( :bash:

---------- Post added November 13th, 2015 at 11:11 AM ----------

Quite nice! Inspiring. I'm a "finish freak", so I probably would use some grommets in the webbing. It would however make it permanent as you would need to cut them out to get the webbing out of the slots.

Thanks! I thought about adding grommets, but the ones I have would be too big for this application. If you know a source for grommets of the right size for 1/8" bungee, please let me know.

I will stick with it as-is for now, regardless, to see how well the webbing holds up without grommets. In this particular case, if the webbing holds up without grommets, I think I would leave it alone. Grommets would have to be REALLY tiny for me to not think the current arrangement looks cleaner.

Clever...I may have to try that.

Oh, crap! My sincerest apologies! I am really sorry about that! :( :bash:

---------- Post added November 13th, 2015 at 11:11 AM ----------

Thanks! I thought about adding grommets, but the ones I have would be too big for this application. If you know a source for grommets of the right size for 1/8" bungee, please let me know.

I will stick with it as-is for now, regardless, to see how well the webbing holds up without grommets. In this particular case, if the webbing holds up without grommets, I think I would leave it alone. Grommets would have to be REALLY tiny for me to not think the current arrangement looks cleaner.

No problem, apology unecessary, all good.

Love it. Hate having to ask my buddy to attach those clips. Very nice solution Stuart! Thanks.
If you don't go the bungee route just lengthen the straps, close the clips and slid onto the wrist. Then its a simple pull on each strap to tighten. I hated the straps as well until I realized how easy this is.

If you don't go the bungee route just lengthen the straps, close the clips and slid onto the wrist. Then its a simple pull on each strap to tighten. I hated the straps as well until I realized how easy this is.

That's what I do but will try Stuart's way as the excess straps flopping around sometimes irritates me. I need the extra length moving from wet to dry and Stuart's way looks like it will solve that minor irritation. It's raining here today with strong winds so no diving, it's my afternoon project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom