Bungee mount for Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have lots of extra strap even in my dry suit. Of course, the obvious answer is "just cut them and burn the ends". But, I think I'd still have an issue with extra when diving wet. And I hate modifying things like that from how they came from the factory. There's always that paranoia that, as soon as I cut them, I'll find a reason why I need them to be longer. Plus, securing the tails (i.e. tucking them in wrapped around/behind the taut part of the strap) always seems to take me way longer than it should.

I have lots of extra strap even in my dry suit. Of course, the obvious answer is "just cut them and burn the ends". But, I think I'd still have an issue with extra when diving wet. And I hate modifying things like that from how they came from the factory. There's always that paranoia that, as soon as I cut them, I'll find a reason why I need them to be longer. Plus, securing the tails (i.e. tucking them in wrapped around/behind the taut part of the strap) always seems to take me way longer than it should.

Got it..

I think that it's OK to trim the straps, we do that with the backplate harness waist piece, right? I mean, it's your gear, it should be optimized for you.

Trim the straps with your thickest dry suit and undergarment diameter, then it should be OK for the tropics too. I guess if you gain a lot of weight in your wrist, or if you sell the Petrel to the Incredible Hulk or Popeye the Sailor, you might need new straps...! :D

Happy Holidays,

M

Got it..

I think that it's OK to trim the straps, we do that with the backplate harness waist piece, right? I mean, it's your gear, it should be optimized for you.

Trim the straps with your thickest dry suit and undergarment diameter, then it should be OK for the tropics too. I guess if you gain a lot of weight in your wrist, or if you sell the Petrel to the Incredible Hulk or Popeye the Sailor, you might need new straps...! :D

Happy Holidays,

M

Yeah... If I decide to go back to the stock straps for some reason, I will trim them. One other thing that put me off of trimming is that the stock straps appear to be some kind of nylon sheath over a piece of rubber. Not really the same as a plain old piece of 2" nylon webbing. I wasn't really sure how well the Petrel straps would "take" to being burned to "seal" the ends after being cut.

The new Petrel 2s now come with two velcro strips (that act as loops) that hold the excess strap tails in place. I just purchased a Petrel 2 for my wife and it came with the velcro loops while my Petrel 2 purchased early this year didn't come with them.

You can make you own velcro loops by purchasing velcro strips and cutting them down to length.

Amazon.com: Reusable Self-Gripping Cable Ties 1/2 x 8 inches Black 25 Ties/Pack: Office Products

Amazon.com: VELCRO - ONE-WRAP: For Cables, Wires & Cords - 12' x 3/4" Roll - Black: Office Products

The new Petrel 2s now come with two velcro strips (that act as loops) that hold the excess strap tails in place. I just purchased a Petrel 2 for my wife and it came with the velcro loops while my Petrel 2 purchased early this year didn't come with them.

Mine came with those. When I tried using them to hold the tails the result was way too bulky for my taste. I would have still needed to cut the tails down.

Out here in SoCal, we just put two independent loops of bungee, and knot them.

Why use a nuclear missle to drive a nail?

I like the idea of using webbing than attaching bungee. But I have not had any issues using just bungee by itself. At first when I looked at it with the bungee in the mount holes I thought the bungee was too close together. But it passed the dive test just fine. 30 dives later and I don't miss the factory straps.

I have been meaning to post up this picture of my bungie mount on my P2. I use a single piece of bungie with a cord lock. What is hard to see is that at the end of the cord lock is a keeper ring. To put the computer on I make the loops as big as they go, slide it over my wrist. To snug it down I place computer face on my chest, pull the bungie tight, grab the keeper ring in my teeth, slide the cord lock down.

Note: to make this system work the cord lock needs to be on the battery side of the computer with the knot on the opposite. Hope the photo is clear enough.

IMG_0100.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom