Bungee or spring straps: which is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Bungee or spring straps: which is best?
Some people say bungee are easier to use, some other say they are more or less similar to spring straps
Some say bungee are easier to get damaged after some years, while spring are more resistant
What do you think?

I have seen old bungee straps break and they are somewhat expensive to replace. There are spring straps that are similarly priced and it’s one and done.

Ok... how about ease of use? In fact the main reason to replace gum straps with springs or bungee is they should be easier to put while staying in water. Do you think spring is just as easy as bungee?

Last edited:
Ok... how about ease of use? In fact the main reason to replace gum straps with springs or bungee is they should be easier to put while staying in water. Do you think spring is just as easy as bungee?
For ease of use they both work equally well. The bungee did fail after many years use and there was forewarning. Just pulling on the bungee one could see the fissures along the cord. But I still prefer bungee because they are lighter than the spring straps.

I have seen old bungee straps break and they are somewhat expensive to replace. There are spring straps that are similarly priced and it’s one and done.
Springs can break, too. Either way you have to maintain the straps. I prefer springs by only a small margin. I have a pair of fins I couldn't get spring straps for (mares x-stream). Those have bungee.

Only problem with my spring straps is the thingy where you loop your finger/thumb through to don and doff has broken on each one. Doesn't really present a problem but unfortunate.

Ok thank you very much. Eventually I chose to buy Mares bungee. Since quality is similar and they are a bit lighter, I prefer. In my case they are also easier to buy I found them already
As for spring straps, oddly they seem to be not easy to find unless you buy online and the cost is similar or higher than bungee.
All in all I prefer bungee in this case
Thanks again

I've had springs that stretched over time and some that were difficult to get the fins off in a hurry. I prefer bungees because they're easier to use than springs, last a couple hundred dives, take a couple of minutes to make and replace a pair and cost less than a dollar.

dscf2972-jpg-397057-jpg.450505.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom