Bungee or spring straps: which is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen old bungee straps break and they are somewhat expensive to replace. There are spring straps that are similarly priced and it’s one and done.

Huh? Bungee is cheap and available at any hardware store. The reliability advantage of bungees over springs is you can tell that they are starting to fail. Short of metallurgical non-destructive testing that costs more than a pair of fins, you can't tell when springs are nearing failure. Bungee length is also easily changed to the desired length and last for years. Here is an image of modifications I made to Jets and Hollis F1s.

full.jpg

Huh? Bungee is cheap and available at any hardware store. The reliability advantage of bungees over springs is you can tell that they are starting to fail. Short of metallurgical non-destructive testing that costs more than a pair of fins, you can't tell when springs are nearing failure. Bungee length is also easily changed to the desired length and last for years. Here is an image of modifications I made to Jets and Hollis F1s.

Thank you for pointing that out. I have to learn to be more succinct when making comments on SB in the future! Please let me revise my earlier statement to this, “If you were to purchase a pair of replacement bungee straps for Mares fins produced by the original manufacturer at your LDS the cost would be north of $36”, which is indeed somewhat expensive. I have used off the shelf bungee cord to repair a Mares fin, as stated earlier in this thread, for next to nothing. I will post pictures momentarily.

Mares Bungee Fin Straps

Last edited:
What you say is true about the Eddy fins. I had to change out the springs with those on my Hollis F1 fins and Deep6Gear would not exchange the springs. Still once you get the right length springs the fins work very well.
I have the same problem. It was surprising they didn't have a better solution, given their otherwise great reputation.

DEF439F0-8821-4E18-BC04-D47F805D5327.jpeg
Make sure you look under the handle too. And yes, you can buy that super thick bungee for side mount or double up the more standard thickness and thread through the mount, knot the ends.

Here are some pictures for this repair. A little more cost effective than buying replacement straps from the OEM.

Attachments

• 1B7E37AA-A2BD-4C8B-9FC1-00B268ABCD89.jpeg
    1B7E37AA-A2BD-4C8B-9FC1-00B268ABCD89.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 120
I have the same problem. It was surprising they didn't have a better solution, given their otherwise great reputation.
@cerich That is now four people I know that have this issue with Deep 6 springs being too short, one of whom didn’t buy because of it. Maybe time to rethink that spring length? Or at least offer a swap?

@cerich That is now four people I know that have this issue with Deep 6 springs being too short, one of whom didn’t buy because of it. Maybe time to rethink that spring length? Or at least offer a swap?

At least the Deep Six fin has some length adjustment like the Hollis F1. Like the F1, they are a little harder to convert to bungees (unless someone has a better method than I used). I had to drill out the bottom of the spring pocket. Bungee length is controlled by where you tie the knot.

Mostly bungee cords seem to be robust and cheap. The point is don't know if I can manage to regulate exactly how tight they must be in order not to cause pain or discomfort while diving, or even worse tendon injuries

The spring extension on the Deep 6 fins is limited by the cord inside the spring. I am pretty sure that you could replace that with a longer cord to allow greater extension without exceeding the limits of the spring.

The point is don't know if I can manage to regulate exactly how tight they must be in order not to cause pain or discomfort while diving, or even worse tendon injuries

In most cases, you do want a pad where the bungee contacts the back of the heel. I was able to use the pad that came with spring straps that I converted from. You can roll-your-own by taking a piece of sheet rubber and punching some holes to string the bungee through.

Some hard-sole boots have a stiff enough support that it isn't necessary. IMO, the "finger loop" on most spring straps is a very useful feature. I had a molded rubber loop fail on one set that I replaced with a piece of 1" blue webbing. I actually prefer it over the original. YMMV.

upload_2018-4-19_9-30-16.png

Aside from the short spring, the Deep 6 fins seemed really nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom