Bungeed OMS Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

resqsqurt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I originally posted this thread in the DIR forum. I thought I would also post it here to see if the responses were any different. I'm not trolling or trying to start a Hog vs DIR debate, or anything else like that. I'm simply trying to see if some other folks have a different opinion.

Also, I'm just now learning about Hog and DIR diving (from Scubaboard.) I'm trying to be open-minded about both. I've read what the DIR guys think about this wing. What do some of you think? The DIR guys seem to have a very good point in that the bungees could squeeze the air out of the wing in the event of a puncture, but I don't know if that is theoretical or if it has actually happened.

So, here is my original question with a few points of clarification thrown in. Let me know what you all think. Actually, going back to reread what I wrote, I guess I should modify my original question from the oral inflation part (which seems to have been answered but give me opinions anyway) to more about what you think about the bungeed wing. I wanted to leave my original thread info there, though, so you would see the same thing I asked the DIR guys. Thanks!

We are planning moving from BCD to BP/W. We're looking at the OMS bungeed 100 or 60 lb version. Someone told me to avoid the OMS due to the difficulty in oral inflation of a wing with bungees, but I don't know if his opinion was anecdotal or just theoretical. What experience has anyone had with oral inflation of these wings? Is it difficult if you happen to have an out-of-air emergency?

Also, do you recommend the 60 or the 100 lb. version? I'm not planning on doing tech diving with stage bottles or anything like that, so the 60 would be more than enough, but I didn't know if we would be better off with the 100 anyway. I'm not a very big person, so I'm very concerned about profile. Hence, the decision to go with the bungeed OMS. We will probably be diving with a STA but would like the option to dive doubles as well. I'm concerned about the taco effect of a larger wing but thought that might be decreased with the bungees. I've seen a picture of the bungeed OMS when it was blown up fully, and it looked...quite interesting and not streamlined with the bungees on it. BUT...how often would you actually have to inflate it that much?

Please give me any opinions you might have. Thank you...

A 60 or 100 lb OSM bungeed or unbungeed wing is wholly inappropriate for a single tank.

There are much much better options out there for a single tank. These wings are designed for doubles.

Would we be better off with the 45lb? Would that accomodate small doubles or should we just buy two wings? If we should just buy two, which two sizes would you recommend? Also, what is your opinion on bungeed vs non-bungeed?

Get a singles wing.. when you get doubles plus all the associated gear, the cost of a doubles wing will be insignificant. OMS makes a singles wing that's 32 lbs, Halcyon and Oxycheq each make two complete lines of singles wings. www.covci.com has good prices on the Oxycheq wings.

Dive Rite also makes the Venture wing, which is a singles-specific wing. What kind of exposure protection and tank do you wear?

A wing with a puncture at depth is going to loose the air anyway, especially on the ascent as it expands. That being said, the bungees don't provide any real value, so why bother. Most people I know that bought OMS or DR bungeed wings have loosened them significantly or taken them off all together.

I don't see an entanglement hazard with them for typical open water dives, but I wouldn't go inside a wreck with one on. I've been caught up on my manifold in the past, and I can only imagine that the bungees on a wing would present more snag points. The DR wing places the bungees on the body side of the wing to reduce this hazard though.

All in all, why not just buy the non-bungeed wing? Oh, and don't use a doubles wing with singles. :)

First, Jonnythan is right, these wings are designed for doubles. The shape of the wing is such that it goes around two tanks, hence the "taco effect" with a single tank. Also sixty or a hundred pound lift is a lot more than you will ever need diving singles.

Regarding the bungees, it is not hard to manually inflate the wings. The bungees do push much of the air out of the wing though, so if there were a puncture in the wing most of the air would come out. The OMS covers on the wings are very tough though, so I would worry a lot more about an inflator hose tear than a wing puncture.

In an out of air emergency, the problem you will have is getting air to put in the wings, not manually inflating them.

When I dive with doubles and deco bottles, etc I use a 100lb bungeed wing and it is probably never even half full. When I dive singles, I use a 30lb wing or my Zeagle BC with a 45lb bladder and they are adequate for all the diving I do.

There are lots of "what if" arguments against bungeed wings and most of them are BS, but I do believe that there is a greater danger of snagging something when penetrating wrecks.

If you really want a bungeed wing, get the 60 not the 100. You would be better off with a smaller wing though, one designed for single tanks.

TT :wink:

For single tank diving in most normal diving environments a 25 to 30 pound lift wing is all you should need. This of course assumes a single tank and normal recreational profile. For this type of dive I can not think of a situation where you should need a significantly larger wing. Even if you are using a steel tank, thick wetsuit, and in fresh water 30 pounds of lift should handle the task quite nicely.

For double tank diving a 50 to 60 pound lift wing should handle the task. I have been in caves using Double LP 104's in fresh water at almost 100 feet and not needed more lift. I have also been at 150 feet in salt water with Double Genesis 120's carrying two deco bottles and not needed more lift. Both of the above profiles were in a wetsuit that at these depths was compressed about as much as it would matter.

I have no experience with OMS Bungee wings, but have used other types of compression designs on the bladder. The other types of compression systems I have used are less aggressive so my experiences do not directly compare.

I would strongly urge you to get two different wings. One specifically designed for single tanks, to be used with single tanks. Another specifically designed for double tanks, to be used with double tanks. Think about it, double tanks are more than twice as wide as a single tank, the bladder needs to have a dramatically different size and shape to accomodate doubles. This size and shape does not lend itself to good characteristics when used with a single tank. The reverse is true when using a single tank on doubles.

You will almost certainly spend less money by getting two different wings that work for their specific intended tanks, rather than one wing that performs less than optimaly, and then getting the two separate wings.

Too much lift is not necessarily the best choice, a 100 pound lift wing with a single tank could lead to a really dangerous situation if you experienced an inflator malfunction. You would be a Polaris Missile big time! Get the right wing for the task at hand.

Good luck with your quest,

Mark Vlahos

jonnythan:
Dive Rite also makes the Venture wing, which is a singles-specific wing. What kind of exposure protection and tank do you wear?

We almost always dive dry and use either an AL 80 or 100.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. They are helping a lot. Please continue to give any information you can think of.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom