Bungeed OMS Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At one point I had a bungeed 45lb OMS wing. The wing worked well enough for either a single H.P. 100 or double H.P. 100's. I never had a problem with the bungees as a snag hazard, but I try to stay out of areas I don't belong in. The one problem I did have was that the upper right (as you wear the wing) pull dump string would at times get caught in the bungees, and when the wing was fully inflated (on the surface) it would dump air through that valve. After 2x I cut the string and had no problems, but IMO there is no need for that dump valve in that position. Also on the OMS bungeed wings they mount the corrugted dump hose on the left side FRONT of the wing, and on the NON-bungeed wings they mount it on the BACK of the wing. I prefer the dump hose on the back of the wing. YMMV...Personally I'd look around for something slightly used and get a wing for your specific needs at THIS time. As someone else pointed out, if you decide to go deeper/longer and NEED the doubles, the wing will be one of the cheaper purchases in addition to the proper training and more cylinders.

I use an OMS single wing and a Halcyon Explorer for doubles.

The quality of the material in the OMS is better than the Halcyon, and I'm not talking about the crap on their website. When you compare, you'll see and feel the difference. The Halcyon has a better inflator hose than the OMS in my opinion. There are good points about both brands, and no real negatives. Don't buy the OMS with a long inflator. You can get one with a shorter hose, which is much more convenient and streamlined. The Halcyon doesn't have the option of different lengths, but it comes with the appropriate length anyway.

As for bungees, OMS sells wings with and without them. Go without them. With doubles and the appropriate sized doubles wing, you don't need the bungees anyway. The bungees allowes for a larger wing to be used with smaller doubles as mentioned above. I'd rather just use a smaller wing with less material.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong in doing so, because everyone dives differently. I just recommend using the right equipment for the job. Defineatly, do not use a doubles wing with a single tank. You will find it difficult to vent, since the air can end up wrapped up around the tanks and above the exaust vents.

matt t.:
Also on the OMS bungeed wings they mount the corrugted dump hose on the left side FRONT of the wing, and on the NON-bungeed wings they mount it on the BACK of the wing. I prefer the dump hose on the back of the wing.

I agree. Another reason to buy a non-bungeed wing from OMS.

matt t.:
Also on the OMS bungeed wings they mount the corrugted dump hose on the left side FRONT of the wing, and on the NON-bungeed wings they mount it on the BACK of the wing. I prefer the dump hose on the back of the wing. QUOTE]

I use the bungied 100lb wing for doubles use and also found this super anoying. I just spun the wing around and loosened the hose and arranged it so that it is routed over the shoulder like everyother wing in the world. The second bladder is now coming out on the front of the right side......a little anoying but it hardly ever gets used. Probably be easier to describe with a picture......

matt t.:
At one point I had a bungeed 45lb OMS wing. The wing worked well enough for either a single H.P. 100 or double H.P. 100's. I never had a problem with the bungees as a snag hazard, but I try to stay out of areas I don't belong in. The one problem I did have was that the upper right (as you wear the wing) pull dump string would at times get caught in the bungees, and when the wing was fully inflated (on the surface) it would dump air through that valve. After 2x I cut the string and had no problems, but IMO there is no need for that dump valve in that position. Also on the OMS bungeed wings they mount the corrugted dump hose on the left side FRONT of the wing, and on the NON-bungeed wings they mount it on the BACK of the wing. I prefer the dump hose on the back of the wing. YMMV...Personally I'd look around for something slightly used and get a wing for your specific needs at THIS time. As someone else pointed out, if you decide to go deeper/longer and NEED the doubles, the wing will be one of the cheaper purchases in addition to the proper training and more cylinders.

I've the OMS 45# bungied wing and LOVE it, I use it for single cyl with a STA, the taco effect is not a problem and all the crap that you may hear about the bungies is pure BS, most bungie haters never have used or tested one. Inflating one oraly is no problem at all if the bungies are setted right.

I hate the hose mounted on the front of the wing so I recently turned the wing around and everything is OK now.

I wouldn't enter a wreck with the bungies due to the nature of the enviroment, but any other place I won't mind using them, if you want, you may remove them at any time (before a dive) and dive without them like any non bungied wing.

Stay away from the big bladders, since you don't need them, when the time comes that you need a 60#+ wing, you probably won't need to ask here for help in bladder size.

The 45# bladder is a good one, but for singles, you can get away with a small 30# from OMS, Oxycheq, Dive Rite, Halcyon or any other.

The OMS is top notch quality and the materials are better than any other I've seen, but more expensive than some others.

Mandy3206:
I hate the hose mounted on the front of the wing so I recently turned the wing around and everything is OK now.

I wouldn't enter a wreck with the bungies due to the nature of the enviroment, but any other place I won't mind using them, if you want, you may remove them at any time (before a dive) and dive without them like any non bungied wing.

OK, it has hose on the wrong side, you can remove useles bungies, maybe you can do some other modifications. :) What's the point in buying such wing? Why don't go for some other wing that has everything you need set up properly?

Mandy3206:
Stay away from the big bladders, since you don't need them, when the time comes that you need a 60#+ wing, you probably won't need to ask here for help in bladder size.

Listening too many advices he'll end up with collection of the wings. At least you in States have the oportunity for "try and buy".

Regarding bungie problems TT has explained everything.

Mandy3206:
I've the OMS 45# bungied wing and LOVE it, I use it for single cyl with a STA
Cool....Its even bigger than my doubles wing

Mandy3206:
I wouldn't enter a wreck with the bungies due to the nature of the enviroment, but any other place I won't mind using them
Wow....lets have one set for wrecks...the other for wall dives...and another for..........

taking off my DIR hat, i'll bet it really doesn't matter if this guy has a bungee wing or not, seriously doubt the bungees will kill him. putting it back on, i don't see what value it gives...

bigger problem is that wing size as everyone has pointed out. i dive a 40# eclipse wing with single 130s and its still a bit big. i'm setting up double 130s and i'm going with the 55# explorer wing. if you think you need a larger wing, try dropping some lead instead...

MonkSeal:
OK, it has hose on the wrong side, you can remove useles bungies, maybe you can do some other modifications. :) What's the point in buying such wing? Why don't go for some other wing that has everything you need set up properly?

Listening too many advices he'll end up with collection of the wings. At least you in States have the oportunity for "try and buy".

Regarding bungie problems TT has explained everything.

Read again, I never said that the bungies were useless, in fact I like them very much, the way they compact the wing and keep it neatly under the tank, eliminating the taco effect is the feature I like the most.

The hose is mounted in a diferent location, but by turning the wing around, I have it the way I like it. The only diference is in which side the warning label is attached to the wing, so there is not diference at all if you turned the wing around, just the placement of the valves.

The 45# bladder is a good wing for doubles and singles, that's the reason that I bought it, so I don't end up with a couple of wings.

I sure can buy all the wings I want, just save some money and get it, but why spend money to have a collection of wings that I won't use, if some time in the future I need a bigger bladder, then I'll certainly get it, but I don't see that happening for a very long time.

You would be amazed on the time I spended researching many diferent sources and reading about the BP/W setup to come to the conclusion of what I wanted and the reasons for it, I spended close to a yr just to make up my mind and come up with my current setup, I did that just to make sure I didn't buy something and end up ebaying it a couple of months later, with this setup I doubt I'll change it in many yrs to come.

I'm sorry that you don't have the chance to "try and buy", me neither that's why it took so much time for me to decide what I needed. In my island, I've seen only 3 BP/W setups, mine, my buddys, and one guy I met here at SB that uses a Halcyon rig, there may be others, but I haven't seen them around, I've seen some soft packs, but 98% of BCs here are jacket style BCs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom