Bungeed OMS Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
Cool....Its even bigger than my doubles wing

Wow....lets have one set for wrecks...the other for wall dives...and another for..........

I wonder how big is your doubles wing.

The beauty of my wing is that I can use it for singles, doubles, outside a wreck with the bungies and inside a wreck without the bungies if I choose to do so, all with only one bladder.

Isn't that cool or what ?

One bladder covers all the bases.

For those that won't use the bungies ever, the 45# non banded bladder may be the ticket to go for an overall wing. And if the user prefer the valves in the inside of the bladder (for whatever reason), they can flip the wing around and have it that way.

Mandy3206:
I wonder how big is your doubles wing.
38 lbs

Mandy3206:
The beauty of my wing is that I can use it for singles, doubles, outside a wreck with the bungies and inside a wreck without the bungies if I choose to do so, all with only one bladder.

Isn't that cool or what ?

One bladder covers all the bases.
I have one wing for my doubles (2 actually, but I haven't used my Halcyon 55 for a while...and I don't see using it anytime soon)

and another for my singles.

Each one is designed for optimal performance for the task it is designed for.

Now...Thats cool.

Using one bladder for all types of diving is not cool...its cheap.

JeffG:
38 lbs

I have one wing for my doubles (2 actually, but I haven't used my Halcyon 55 for a while...and I don't see using it anytime soon)

and another for my singles.

Each one is designed for optimal performance for the task it is designed for.

Now...Thats cool.

Using one bladder for all types of diving is not cool...its cheap.

If you like your wings, then I don't have any problems with it, it's your wing and your money.
I find my wing very cool even if you find that cheap, I explained the reasons allready, and you're entitled to your opinion, if you put it that way, then I couldn't care less

resqsqurt:
I originally posted this thread in the DIR forum. I thought I would also post it here to see if the responses were any different. I'm not trolling or trying to start a Hog vs DIR debate, or anything else like that. I'm simply trying to see if some other folks have a different opinion.

Also, I'm just now learning about Hog and DIR diving (from Scubaboard.) I'm trying to be open-minded about both. I've read what the DIR guys think about this wing. What do some of you think? The DIR guys seem to have a very good point in that the bungees could squeeze the air out of the wing in the event of a puncture, but I don't know if that is theoretical or if it has actually happened.

So, here is my original question with a few points of clarification thrown in. Let me know what you all think. Actually, going back to reread what I wrote, I guess I should modify my original question from the oral inflation part (which seems to have been answered but give me opinions anyway) to more about what you think about the bungeed wing. I wanted to leave my original thread info there, though, so you would see the same thing I asked the DIR guys. Thanks!

We are planning moving from BCD to BP/W. We're looking at the OMS bungeed 100 or 60 lb version. Someone told me to avoid the OMS due to the difficulty in oral inflation of a wing with bungees, but I don't know if his opinion was anecdotal or just theoretical. What experience has anyone had with oral inflation of these wings? Is it difficult if you happen to have an out-of-air emergency?

Also, do you recommend the 60 or the 100 lb. version? I'm not planning on doing tech diving with stage bottles or anything like that, so the 60 would be more than enough, but I didn't know if we would be better off with the 100 anyway. I'm not a very big person, so I'm very concerned about profile. Hence, the decision to go with the bungeed OMS. We will probably be diving with a STA but would like the option to dive doubles as well. I'm concerned about the taco effect of a larger wing but thought that might be decreased with the bungees. I've seen a picture of the bungeed OMS when it was blown up fully, and it looked...quite interesting and not streamlined with the bungees on it. BUT...how often would you actually have to inflate it that much?

Please give me any opinions you might have. Thank you...

I have the 100lb dual bladder OMS Bungee wing, I have about 200+ dives on it. I used it strictly for my twins rig. I have been very happy with it and I have never had any problems with it. I would recommend it. It is solid and it is made very well. The material is bombproof. Just my 2 cents.

eric

Very informative thread so far. Having taken this all in, I would like to hear the thoughts of others.

I have a ranger BC and a Zeagle backplate with mini bertha (dual 55# bladders). I am learning to dive my doubles and planned on using them this past weekend. However I discovered that an o-ring had failed on one of my tanks Friday and needed bead blasting so I ended up renting 2 single 120 steel tanks for the weekend (with H-valves which were great for the s drills). Wanting the practice with my BP I went ahead and dove the singles with it and the mini-bertha. (When I get done buying everything else I need, I will get a wing for singles).

I didn't seem to experience the taco effect, or at least I didn't notice it and I did not see any change in my sac rate. I did not experience any problems with getting the air out of the bladder. I dove with a full 3 mil and no weights, had no problem with bouyancy at 15 or 100 feet, all seemed the same to me.

Maybe my experience was unique. From what I have read it seems I should have dove my ranger instead of the BP?

It was my first dive with a single and a bp, I liked it!

Cheers

I'm small, lightwieght, & am quite negative (11 lbs with a drysuit, 3 lbs with a 5 mil). I also dive steels, whether singles or doubles. The bungee is supposed to reduce drag; however, I don't know if there is any actual "evidence" that this actually helps with overall trim. Getting the bungee caught in stuff is a serious concern if you are doing anything but basic, rec. diving- no penetration, overhead, etc.

Too much lift is not a good thing- it's the equivalent of "supersizing" at McDonald's. Both add extra bulk & both can kill you.

Remember to dive within your limits- get your basics down before heading toward those doubles.

Dive well,

Peri

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom