Buoyancy needs of a Videographer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Same post that I put in the BC section.

Generally, back inflation BCs are more popular on this board than jackets but what bc would you choose if you were taking pictures or making a video? Videographers often have to be steady in vertical position to film and I was just thinking back inflation (with its inbuilt tendency to put you horizontal) will cause the diver to struggle and lose stability. Videographers also have to roll and swim on their side to film. How would a back inflation BC do in that situation?

Any thoughts?

I'm a new diver and own a back inflator and I Love it. At first I wasn't sure about it because when I first started diving with it, it would tend to put me on my face on the surface but, once I got used to it I don't even notice it anymore.

I'm also new to videography. I don't seem to have a problem with it. It gives me more freedom and I'm getting better on my bouyancy now so I really able to hover nice and still for some shots. The first couple of dives with my camera here in So. Calif was kind of shaky....I mean myself handling and getting used to the camera but, I guess I was just doing a lot of experimenting with it. Trying all the buttons out.

I took a video class and now I'm in the process of editing a video together of some diving I did on Maui this past month. Need to get it together for my instructor to see and evaluate. I think she'll be pleased.

The back inflator will take some dives to get used to but, I do love mine. It's not too bulky like the jacket style I took my OW class in.

Nice but can you hold still and float in a stand up position in your back inflation BC? I love back inflation other wise but never tried it in my Video dives.

To tell you the truth, I'm still not that good with my camera and I've only taken the camera on 9 dives. I recently took my camera on the back wall of Molokini, Maui. I believe that was my 5th dive with the camera. I remember I didn't have much of a problem staying vertical in place shooting an eel in his hole. I was also sitting vertical on my safety stop for about 5 minutes filming fish as they swam around me, without any kind of a line to hold onto but, I also started my safety stop with 1000 psi. Had it been 500 I might have had a slight bouyancy problem.
I wish I had someone with video on me, to see what I look like shooting video, LOL.

SeaHound:

Generally, back inflation BCs are more popular on this board than jackets but what bc would you choose if you were taking pictures or making a video? Videographers often have to be steady in vertical position to film and I was just thinking back inflation (with its inbuilt tendency to put you horizontal) will cause the diver to struggle and lose stability. Videographers also have to roll and swim on their side to film. How would a back inflation BC do in that situation?

Any thoughts?

Not all BC's are alike, jacket or back inflate.

My current BC, a back inflate Dive Rite Transpac works great. No tendency to push forward at all. My previous BC, a back inflate Seaquest Balance definitely had a tendency to push forward. The more air in the bladder, the worse the tendency to go forward.

SeaHound:

Any thoughts?

Usually at depth you don't (shouldn't) have a whole lot of air in the bladder anyway, so it's really not a factor. More important, I think, is weight positioning. My weight-integrated BC tends to pull me back at the surface, but I haven't had any problems below. I tend to shoot from a horizontal position anyway, but if I wanted to be vertical for long times, I would go with a traditional belt.

SeaHound:
Nice but can you hold still and float in a stand up position in your back inflation BC? I love back inflation other wise but never tried it in my Video dives.

I'm not a videographer but do a lot of still photography and am curious...
Why do you want to be upright while shooting instead of in your normal horizontal position?

chuck e:
Usually at depth you don't (shouldn't) have a whole lot of air in the bladder anyway, so it's really not a factor. More important, I think, is weight positioning.
thank goodness somebody said it before i did!

and i agree with FINS... "Why do you want to be upright while shooting instead of in your normal horizontal position?" - i don't want to start a big "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING" debate

but;

remember, just because you have a camera in your hands doesn't mean you have the right "HOLD ON" to things to steady yourself.

SeaHound:

The back inflate BCs have trim pockets in the back. I put two four pound weights back there and a steel tank. I'm stable when vertical and when horizontal. I can swimm face up but my system is not stable that way.

A lot depends on the exposure suit. My 7mm suit is much more bouyent then the air inside my BC but this changes at 60 or 80 feet where the suit is compressed and I've got some air in the bc. If I were in warmmer water it would be different You can also use weight belt to hold some of your weight. There are enough variables that you should be able to make almost any BC work.

remember, just because you have a camera in your hands doesn't mean you have the right "HOLD ON" to things to steady yourself

In case your talking about me...since I said "without any kind of a line to hold onto."

If you think I hold onto things like coral or rock to steady myself, I don't. Never said I did! Even as a new diver and videographer I don't need to hold on to things to steady myself. I'll blow the shot before I have to "HOLD ON" to anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom