burning the film on your mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Metho works, and it's cheaper than beer.

Aye.... but beer tastes much better....

Wait, you meant in the mask.... :D

I'll still use a few of these to clean MY mask :beer: :beer: :beer: ..... I mean WHILE I clean my mask... :beer: :beer: :beer: ....

In fact, with enough beer I no longer care as much if my mask fogs....

:D

Best wishes.

I have not tried the Bic lighter technique, but it occurs to me that several masks nowadays (including my Cressi) have lenses that are relatively easily removed from the frame. I'm guessing you could remove the lenses and then burn them, boil them, sandblast them, or whatever else you wanted to do to get rid of any film.

I always burn the film off my new masks. You can see it burn up.

Then I clean the soot off with soft scrub lightly with my finger, or just soapy water and my finger.

Works great. Doesn't ruin the mask.

While I still use defog on my mask, I can't say if I really need to.

I have not tried the Bic lighter technique, but it occurs to me that several masks nowadays (including my Cressi) have lenses that are relatively easily removed from the frame. I'm guessing you could remove the lenses and then burn them, boil them, sandblast them, or whatever else you wanted to do to get rid of any film.

Hey Fritz, I recently bought a Cressi big eyes crystal mask; do you know where I can learn how to remove the frame ? Thanks :)

You burn the film by passing a BIC lighter flame over the interior of the lens, not an acetylene torch. I seriously doubt playing a lighter flame over the lens will damage the mask.

N

can someone run me through how to do this without damaging my new mask. how long to hold the flame to it and anything else that needs to be done. thanks.

or if there is a better way to get rid of the seal apart from rubbing it after every dive, tooth paste etc.please let me know. i only get to dive on a couple of holidays a year so i want to avoid a fogged up mask..

Sorry, I did not read the responses, is this not the toothpaste solution?

The toothpaste idea works great getting the film off the glass. Do it two or three times and you're ready to go.
Fogging can still occur even after using spit, de-fogger, or Naupaka.
This is because our body temp will always be warmer than the ambient exterior temp of the water, thus causing condensation.
I try to even this out after entering the water by submerging my face a few times without my mask on.
In cold water or when diving below a thermocline, practice mask clearing by fully flooding your mask for a few seconds.

Get Wet!

I just tried this on my new Oceanic Mini Shadow. I've had the mask for about 6 months now and have cleaned it multiple times with toothpaste with no luck. Had a hard time getting in around the edges due to the small frame. Would holding the flame on the outside of the lens work too. Just thinking it might heat the lens up enough to rid the film on the inside? Probably going to go back over it again tomorrow with the lighter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom