burning the film on your mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This technique works really well. I used it on my atomic venom, which used to fog HORRIBLY. I had used toothpaste on it quite a few times, but it still fogged relentlessly. To the extent that I was willing to take a lighter to the most expensive mask I have ever owned! It worked out great...to the extent that my girlfriend even had me do it on her mask. She also had excellent results.

Check out this video - good demo of how to do it, and why it works
Mask De-Fog Lighter Trick - YouTube

There is no danger to the glass as long as it is tempered glass - that's the same stuff they use as glass in front of a fireplace enclosure. For the rubber, it doesn't get very hot as long as you are moving the flame around. It does get warm, though! I do strongly suggest letting the mask sit to cool and not dunking or rinsing it in cold water. That would be about the only way I can think of to actually damage the glass.

Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom