But it looks ok to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceana Diver

Reaction score
Surely you've heard someone mention how much better the reefs were when they began diving X years ago. No, it's not their dreamy reminiscing of the good old days; they simply have a different frame of reference than you, and chances are, the oceans really were better off then.

Check out some fun public service ads about shifting baselines to learn more.

(And if you watch Ocean Symphony, that is who you think.)

Oceana Diver:
Surely you've heard someone mention how much better the reefs were when they began diving X years ago. No, it's not their dreamy reminiscing of the good old days; they simply have a different frame of reference than you, and chances are, the oceans really were better off then.

Check out some fun public service ads about shifting baselines to learn more.

(And if you watch Ocean Symphony, that is who you think.)
I've been diving for 27 years. And in our local area the crab population was definitely greater in number. Also, you used to see about 50/50 Dungeoness Crab and Red Rock Crab. Now, the crab population appears (to me) to be about 25-30% of what it used to be and you almost never see a Dungeoness Crab (in the local area).

Recently I saw a couple Dungeoness Crab and was excited because I hadn't seen one for several years.

I have made similar observations about the fish population, as well.

Your observations remind me of the Fla Keys, where I've seen one conch shell in all the times I dove there (free or tank). Of course, my excitement was for nothing; a hermit crab was living in it. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom