Buttons on Perdix computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, thought they were all the same. Only have the Petrel and NERD as personal reference.

If you haven't used one, I find they are more of a tap or sort of a thump of the finger. They have no stroke to them. They work very well.

I don't think you can do anything evil with a single button. The general sequence is scroll with one button, confirm with the other. Not that much of a chance of accidently changing modes. And if you look at it halfway often you will know right away if you even scrolled through the screens. It's really a mute point unless you are really not paying any attention.

The buttons work well, even with 5mm gloves. They are not tactile but it doesn’t seem to matter. They are large and easily found. You can use a thumb.

My only criticism is that folds of drysuit can operate them.

I find that I turn the compass on constantly when diving dry (right hand wear)

I often have to look at my Perdix to get my finger in the right spot. I can't usually feel the ridges around the button with gloves on.

I personally know 2 people that have had gas switches happen on their Shearwater without their knowledge, because of inadvertent button presses that happened from whatever else they were wearing on that arm. IIRC, a very reputable fellow SB member also posted that he has had the same thing happen.

The buttons are my biggest beef with my Perdix. I wish the buttons were on the front, instead of the sides. Then, I can't see how they would ever get pushed by accident. And, they would be more comfortable, ergonomically speaking, to operate. Hitting the front with my thumb requires much less awkward hand positioning than hitting the left side button with my thumb of my right hand. And the computer would "waste" less real estate on my forearm. I could have another computer or anything else I wanted on the same arm, right up against the computer. And the computer could be further down, right up against my dry glove rings, if I wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom