Buy New Gear for less.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharksdelight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Been helping folk here for a few years now. Completely legit, no gray market nonsense. If you want a camcorder, camera, housing, lens or whatever, just get the best price you can from some legit shop like B & H and I will be able to get the price down for you. I just have the connections that's all. I get no money, you give me nothing, you will deal directly with the store which has a 98% positive rating on resellers.com All I ask is that you do your own research as to what you want and contact me only when you are really ready to go for it. You will tell me what you want and how much the other shop is asking plus shipping and I will get it for you cheaper. How much, I can't say, especially in this economy but you will risk nothing and save something. Once you are satisfied with the price I will then put you in contact with the store's owner,not someone who just works there. He just agreed several years ago to beat B & Hs prices if it went through me.
Steve
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

+1

I have used the service that Steve is offering and I just want to say it is well worth the effort. The cost savings was well worth the effort and the shop you will be contacting/ordering from are a pleasure to work with. Great communication and very quick turn time to get it shipped.

Questions:

If this is "completely legit" - why can't you share who the retailer is?

If the retailer is "completely legit" - why can't he offer these prices direct?

If you "get nothing" out of this - what's the point for him in going thru you?

I think I'd much rather support a shop that puts their prices out in front and doesn't have to go thru a shady system to get some "special deal"

I think this is the last of my trying to help out. I have been a member of the community for many years, founder of the San Diego UnderSea film festival and writer of editing and film production articles, reviews, and tutorials for the largest film editing websites in the world, Kenneth Stone and Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group , winner of numerous film festival awards with broadcast credits on Disney, National Geographic, History and local channels, reviewer for Asian Diver Magazine and have fortunately been able to establish an honorable and knowledgeable reputation. Because I get literally hundreds of emails from around the world asking for advice and such, usually as a response to my articles, and because so many in the San Diego area, where I live, would come to me asking for help to sell their equipment for them as well as buy new gear, I thought that it might be nice to help out the entire dive community. I had a long time business relationship with a store back east whose reseller rating is about 96 so I asked them if it was okay to send folks in need to them, if they used my name, and would they be able to get a better price. Imagine you going into a store and getting a price of $2000 for a cam. If I go in with you, you'd get the same cam but for $1900. You saved 100, I got the pleasure of helping you out. It's a shame Will that you can't imagine someone attempting to be altruistic, but I understand and don't blame you for your suspicion.

And this is what I've been doing. Once someone has told me the best price they could get from another shop, I would get back to them with, hopefully, a better price. Then I gave them the owners personal number and it went from there. My involvement was over. I have never received a penny and never heard a complaint from anyone I helped out, only big thanks. It is a shame that in the society we have created that we are all naturally and understandably suspicious. Never the less, if my attempting to help others in the dive community has caused this problem, probably mostly from other dealers complaining that I am partial to a particular store, than that will be the end of it.
Steve

Why get all defensive and have to start throwing credentials around?

Myself and many others had the above questions. If it's that legit - what's the need for all of this prior post??

You still did not answer any of my questions.

Why can the shop owner not simply offer a reasonable price to public or this community. Why should we have to make an extra step thru you - especially when you are getting "nothing in return". Why does he have to hide behind this whole thing? Why can't you tell us who the shop is?

In this day and age - it is important to do the research and pick up a retailer that offers great customer support, service, all at a fair price. We all know there are plenty of options. Having to jump thru a hoop or two to get something from a retailer that is not announced as well as a price that they will not publicly display makes many people curious and suspicious for obvious reasons. Especially when searching for questions and the person takes a complete defensive and has to throw credentials and a "this is the last of me helping out" around

Why do some shops take out huge advertisements in the magazines and list no prices at all? That's not my business, not my concern. Your question applies to all stores. All shops have a right to make a profit and you would be surprised at how little a mark up there is on equipment. In some cases, for specific models, all stores are required to sell it at one price, no more or less. I was told that the EX-1 is one of those at 6,099. I listed my creds only to show that I am also legit in trying to help others and wouldn't risk my own reputation trying to rip someone off. I guess I must be naive and surprised that I have to defend myself when all I have been doing is helping out others.
I believe that most shops offer reasonable prices. Most certainly do not have the time to constantly participate in dive photo and video forums as I do. However, if you had a friend who owned a store, wouldn't you try to help your buddy by getting him a better price through your connection? That's all I do, help my buddies, in this case the dive community that gave me a career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom