Buy Once, Cry Once DIR rig for recreational diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cowtown44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd like to purchase the entire rig for DIR diving and taking classes with GUE. As the title says, I'm willing to pay for a rig I only have to buy once. I am a beginner and have 12 dives under my belt (PADI OW certification). All dives have been in cold water off CA coast in a Scubapro drysuit (already purchased). Stats: 5'11", 180#, good physical conditionMost of the diving will been off the CA coast although I'd like to be able to take the rig to tropical destination as well. If modifications are required to convert between cold and warmer water, please list. PMs are welcome if you'd prefer to respond in that manner. Thanks in advance!

"One wing to rule them all..."

myprecious1.jpg

I dive a Halcyon steel plate for single tanks in warm or cold water and AL doubles when travelling. Use a Halcyon AL plate for double steel tanks in cold water at home. Halcyon wings: 30 Eclipse for singles, 40 Evolve for AL doubles, 60 Evolve for Steel doubles.

ebay it.

A plate isn't going to wear out, wings are typically OK unless they look ridiculous, and scubapro mk(xx) and g250s can be rebuilt worldwide.

For instance, there's an older model Pioneer 36 on ebau right now for 99 bucks with cam straps. I've had a pioneer for like 10 years and its great.

Personally, I dive a steel backplate at home (Northern California). I use it with steel singles and doubles.

My suggestion for you is, if you are going to dive mostly in Northern California also, get a steel plate and a properly sized single wing. Chances are, you'll be able to use that in tropical water diving also with some minor adjustments to the harness.

I've gone through a few different brands of plates and wings (Oxycheq, Deep Sea Supply and Halcyon). In the end, I find the Halcyon stuff to be at least as good if not better than the others. Any Water Sports in San Jose stocks a bunch of Halcyon single tank and double tank rigs if you want to see and feel the stuff in person. And if you walk in late on Friday or sometime on Saturday, its likely that you will come across one or more of the local GUE divers (BAUE members).

Finally, I don't know if you've reached out to the local GUE instructors (Rob Lee, Beto Nava) but you should. Both have helped countless divers get outfitted with proper equipment for Fundies and Tech 1.

You're lucky; there are quite a few brands of gear now that work for GUE-style diving. I dive, and have dived since before Fundies, a Deep Sea Supply horseshoe singles wing (35 pounds, I think) and a steel plate. DSS setups are nice for singles, because you can add weight plates to the plate itself, to minimize the weight-belt or harness ballast you need to carry in cold water.

The difference between cold and warm water setups is related to ballast, and how that affects required lift. In cold water, using a steel plate makes sense, because you have to carry so much weight to sink, anyway. In warm water, where the weighting needs are minimal, one might end up overweighted with a steel plate and no other weight at all! And if you don't have much buoyancy to lose, you don't need as much lift, so a smaller wing can be used. But it isn't critical; I dove my singles rig in cold and warm water until I ended up with one of DSS's 17 pound wings, and now that I dive dry everywhere, I tend to dive the bigger wing again.

Any good regulator will do. There used to be a proscription against Poseidons, because they were upstream regs, but they're pretty rare nowadays and I believe they no longer make the upstream models, anyway. It is preferred to have a reg where the user can remove the face plate if necessary. But you can read about all that on the GUE website -- there's a good article about equipment there.

Paddle fins with spring straps are ideal. Lots of different fins are used, although Jets are probably most common. But to get a good foot pocket fit, people also use Hollis fins. If you like neutral fins, Dive Rite makes a good paddle fin that comes with springs. My personal favorite are the Mares Power Planas, which also come with an elastic strap.

Backplate and wing, long hose, paddle fins, wrist computer/depth gauge -- that's about all you need for initial training. A strong, focused light would probably be the next addition.

Great, very detailed info above already. I'll add a little more from my very limited personal experience.

+1 for steel BP
I have a DSS steel plate and 30lb wing which I use with wetsuit and drysuit locally (with their 8lb add-on plates, which are great - taking that much off your weight belt is awesome) and I have also used it in the tropics (without the weight plates).
For warm water with the above rig, you will have to use an AL tank otherwise you'll end up overweighted. Wearing LavaCore+board shorts, I was fine with no additional weight belt - they were all shallow dives in the 35-40ft range and I was OK with having no ditchable weight even though I was probably overweighted by a couple of pounds. With a 3mm suit, I carried 1kg (2.2lb) on a belt and that seemed just right.

+1 for the BAUE folks
I got a TON of great info about equipment and classes when I met Adobo, Ben_ca and a lot of the others in Monterey (unfortunately didn't get to dive with them that day). I went to Anywater based on their recommendation and have been going there ever since. Definitely go there and check out the Halcyon setups to get an idea about it. They also serviced and setup all the regs I got on eBay+SB classifieds (Apeks 50/100 series, FWIW). Beto's been super helpful over email as well. Wifebuddy and I are doing the Primer with him next month - wooooooooo!!!! :)
(The Fundies vs Primer conversation my wife and I had was, uh, long. I think only finalizing all our wedding details might have taken longer)

HTH,
elgoog

Cowtown, I'm down the road for you a little bit. Let me know if you want to chat on the phone or swing by the house. I can show you my rig and how it is set up. I regret I cannot dive with you anytime soon as my schedule is tight and I can't seem to break away. I'm booked till the end of July with school and job hunting but in August (hopefully) I should have a stable income again and be able to dive.

Ben

I'd like to purchase the entire rig for DIR diving and taking classes with GUE. As the title says, I'm willing to pay for a rig I only have to buy once. I am a beginner and have 12 dives under my belt (PADI OW certification). All dives have been in cold water off CA coast in a Scubapro drysuit (already purchased). Stats: 5'11", 180#, good physical conditionMost of the diving will been off the CA coast although I'd like to be able to take the rig to tropical destination as well. If modifications are required to convert between cold and warmer water, please list. PMs are welcome if you'd prefer to respond in that manner. Thanks in advance!

If you're going to travel with it, definitely get an aluminum plate. I have a Hollis aluminum (cheap but works), with DIY harness & hardware from Dive Gear Express. Buddies use Frog & Halcyon alum plates, which are very nice. Just stay away from the plastic/kydex stuff.

Wings - depending on your budget, Halcyon, Frog, HOG, they all work.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom