Buyer Beware . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only service gear for my friends and only charge cost price on kit and a Redbull for labor. I service these regs and the G250Vs I build and sell as though my son would be diving them. I'm OCD, I check, check and check again, the slightest deviation from spec results in a strip down. I would never trust an LDS or anyone to service my regs unless I knew who they were. I don't trust people in general in all fields. It has been my experience that most people who call themselves professionals are anything but.

I was once at my shop when a woman was picking up the regs her husband had bought on eBay and brought in for service. They were so old that they couldn’t be fixed. No parts available. She wasn’t happy she had to shell out something around $200-250 for service on regs that couldn’t be used.

why would the shop charge for service at that point? wouldn't it just be, sorry we can't get parts for these regs, so we can't service them, you can come pick them up during our normal operating hours?

I was once at my shop when a woman was picking up the regs her husband had bought on eBay and brought in for service. They were so old that they couldn’t be fixed. No parts available. She wasn’t happy she had to shell out something around $200-250 for service on regs that couldn’t be used.
They ran up a $250 bill before they realized they couldn't fix them? Maybe teaching her a lesson?

Your profile picture is beautiful, never seen one of those before, tons in Lembeh, Indonesia but never like that.
These guys are pelagic and float on the surface eating blue bottles, go down the beach when’s its 40 knots onshore and have a poke around. That’s how I found this critter.
Glaucus atlanticus

That's when I say "no thanks, you can keep them," and walk out without my regs. No way am I going to pay hundreds for nothing. Especially when "nothing" is something the shop should have realized was fruitless from square one.

I wouldn't pay a mechanic $1,000 in labor because he spent a bunch of time fixing my engine before he realized he couldn't order parts for a 1936 LaSalle Roadster.

I would never trust an LDS or anyone to service my regs unless I knew who they were. I don't trust people in general in all fields. It has been my experience that most people who call themselves professionals are anything but.

This couldn't fit my view any better. I shipped my regs directly back to the manufacturer for service. I'm still not pleased with what I got back (one of the 2nd stage covers is loose, seems to run into something before it's able to "snug" up, so it's constantly unscrewing itself...need to take a look before I get them in the water).

I'm currently battling my solar company, who installed the breaker below on their third attempt to get my far-from-inexpensive brand new solar system installed correctly. Yes, that's a piece of scrap wire tying two used breakers together, where they added a circuit to my panel. I guess that's all you get for tens of thousands of dollars.

0FxMQSV.png

This has been my experience throughout life - "people who call themselves professionals are anything but."

I fully intend to be set up in time to do my own regulator service on the next go 'round, and all subsequent services. Almost did this time, but talked myself out of it.

That's when I say "no thanks, you can keep them," and walk out without my regs. No way am I going to pay hundreds for nothing. Especially when "nothing" is something the shop should have realized was fruitless from square one.

I wouldn't pay a mechanic $1,000 in labor because he spent a bunch of time fixing my engine before he realized he couldn't order parts for a 1936 LaSalle Roadster.

This couldn't fit my view any better. I shipped my regs directly back to the manufacturer for service. I'm still not pleased with what I got back (one of the 2nd stage covers is loose, seems to run into something before it's able to "snug" up, so it's constantly unscrewing itself...need to take a look before I get them in the water).

I'm currently battling my solar company, who installed the breaker below on their third attempt to get my far-from-inexpensive brand new solar system installed correctly. Yes, that's a piece of scrap wire tying two used breakers together, where they added a circuit to my panel. I guess that's all you get for tens of thousands of dollars.

View attachment 570588

This has been my experience throughout life - "people who call themselves professionals are anything but."

I fully intend to be set up in time to do my own regulator service on the next go 'round, and all subsequent services. Almost did this time, but talked myself out of it.

With a modicum of care, servicing most regs is not that difficult. There's plenty of good folks here on SB that can help with advice, manuals, tools and service kits. When you're ready you only need ask.

With a modicum of care, servicing most regs is not that difficult. There's plenty of good folks here on SB that can help with advice, manuals, tools and service kits. When you're ready you only need ask.

Yeah, what he said . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom