Buyer Beware . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a modicum of care, servicing most regs is not that difficult. There's plenty of good folks here on SB that can help with advice, manuals, tools and service kits. When you're ready you only need ask.

I'm a mechanical guy to the bone, so I don't have the slightest reservations about doing my own service. I've drafted "want to buy" posts a few times here, to try to find a copy of Regulator Savvy and Harlow's book, but always wind up deleting them before I post because life is just too chaotic lately. I know the books will just go on the shelf for a few months at best, so I figure the money is better invested elsewhere in the short term haha. It's inevitable, just a matter of acquiring the knowledge and tools. Scubaboard is a fantastic resource in general, I definitely dive into any thread I see pop up that discusses servicing regs.

I'm a mechanical guy to the bone, so I don't have the slightest reservations about doing my own service. I've drafted "want to buy" posts a few times here, to try to find a copy of Regulator Savvy and Harlow's book, but always wind up deleting them before I post because life is just too chaotic lately.

As far as I know, Airspeed Press is up and running, and Harlow can easily be ordered online:

Airspeed Press Ordering Info

Wolfinger's:

Regulator Savvy Book | Scuba Tools

A long-time client recently sent me one of his regulators, along with the complaint that the breathing seemed somehow "wonky." He had an offer -- an actual paper coupon -- from his local dive shop, Back East, to do his annual rebuild, for a price I simply could not match, not even for parts; and was set to travel, in March, to PNG, provided that Covid-19 has not derailed his long-awaited vacation plans.

It arrived with the octopus attached and a loose primary regulator. The IP was a bit low; but other than that, little else seemed off -- that was, until I disassembled the primary. I sent him the "Where's Waldo?" photo below, and asked him, what, if anything was absent?

He even called it; the exhalation diaphragm was actually missing; and, in addition, the "operating device," a little, hinged, fiddly bit (with an admittedly piss-poor name), along with the valve piston, was misaligned and twisted off to one side. The parts were dirty; hadn't seen an ultrasonic cleaning. The base of the valve seat was also stripped and had to be replaced. He didn't trust his first stage either, and wants it rebuiltl.

This was almost a year to the day, when I received a friend's "fully operable," "recently serviced" eBay bargain basement FFM, whose first stage was corrroded inside and out; had antiquated parts, whose upgrade kit was pricey; and whose inner mask had actual rodent damage.

I have yet to see any true bargain, related to responsible, realistic regulator repair, which hasn't cost a client twice of what he or she should have paid, in further repairs. If I could offer any advice to novice divers, it would be to reconsideri that order of 15.00 avocado toast, and drop a little more cash into an equipment maintenance fund . . .

Bb...

Unfortunately this is what happens...when the buyer's only buying criteria is ''cheap''...

There are lots of ''good'' used bargains available...here on SB and elsewhere...you have to ask all the questions...know what you're buying...and...not be afraid to walk away...if you're not getting the answers you expect...even ''good/used'' Poseidon is not ''cheap''...

Sellers ''rating'' is very important if the same exists...if it's not 100%...then it's not 100%...

W.M...

They ran up a $250 bill before they realized they couldn't fix them? Maybe teaching her a lesson?
Wow, I don' think I'd use that shop again. That's worse than what the ebay seller did to this person!

So we have a 3 page thread with two stories of diveshops screwing customers.. is the moral of this post "don't get your gear serviced at diveshops?" I don't understand where it's going.

It must suck to live wherever you guys live. Fortunately for me, I've got several shops who do good work. The scubapro "authorized platinum super dealers" or whatever they're called are a little unscrupulous when it comes to doing business but at least their techs do solid work.

Wow, I don' think I'd use that shop again. That's worse than what the ebay seller did to this person!

Yeah, I too don't get that price-gouging bit. The shop, where I worked while at college, could tell within a minute or two, whether service was even possible, in terms of parts availability -- free of charge.

So we have a 3 page thread with two stories of diveshops screwing customers.. is the moral of this post "don't get your gear serviced at diveshops?" I don't understand where it's going.

It's simply what I stressed in that first post: Caveat emptor . . .

Depending upon the make of regulator, it may be difficult to obtain decent servicing -- or service at all, for that matter. Poseidon immediately springs to mind, for absolutely no reason than I can fathom. It cannot be the price of parts, since Scubapro has met or eclipsed them in many markets. The shop in Monterey, where I regularly get my fills, has a laminated sheet behind the counter, with a list of regulator brands that they service and those they won't touch -- Poseidon among them. Another local shop, ships them off-site, to San Francisco.

As late the mid-1990s. there were two great service options within fifteen to thirty minutes of where I lived, in Santa Cruz; another, within an hour. They no longer exist -- casualties of the interwebs; and it has been fully twenty years since I have seen any of those regulators, being sold in a brick and mortar store locally.

Most people that I know, either service the gear themselves; or farm them out to different states, at no small cost, to get dependable service; and the tech training, nowadays, has been limited to a few hours in a Marriott conference room, over rot-gut coffee and microwaveable danishes. Many of those younger techs are not even clear on how a regulator functions; and some of their questions, at the last refresher class, were absolutely cringe-worthy.

I am not asking anyone to recite Boyle's ideal gas law or some obscure law of thermodynamics, known only to an old professor or two with comb-overs and halitosis; but it would be nice to have a slightly broader knowledge than only "the air goes in here" and 9.6 bar is around 145 psi. These are the same guys, ostensibly keeping you alive, while you're floating your bloat at 100 feet off the Yucatan . . .

Doesn't the commercial outfit just north of seaside service Poseidon?

Otherwise, mailing out is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Doesn't the commercial outfit just north of seaside service Poseidon?

Otherwise, mailing out is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I must be unaware of them; not sure to whom you're referring. The last place that had serviced them locally, to my recollection, had been Bamboo Reef, who shipped everything to its South of Market location, in the past.

No, mailing out is not too bad (I receive a number of packages myself, heh, heh, including the Cyklon, the basis of this thread), provided that you're familiar with the service; but there's nothing quite like trying out a newly-tuned regulator on a tank, in store . . .

I was once at my shop when a woman was picking up the regs her husband had bought on eBay and brought in for service. They were so old that they couldn’t be fixed. No parts available. She wasn’t happy she had to shell out something around $200-250 for service on regs that couldn’t be used.
When @Marie13 says "my shop" I am pretty sure many of us can guess who she is referring to - one of the SB "darlings" that I won't name in this negative context on this thread.

I would very much hesitate to beat them up over charging someone $200+ for work that is not complete on items that can't be used. This really sounds like there is some miscommunication or misunderstanding here.
  • Maybe the $200-$250 is actually what the customer acquired the old items for?
  • Maybe the shop advised her multiple times to not have them attempt to service, with the warning that she would owe for labor even if they couldn't get them working in the end?
  • Maybe a more reasonable sounding price, but on multiple sets and not just one?
  • Maybe the "no parts available" refers not to service kits, but rather to items that are typically not replaced during overhaul; but due to poor care/maintenance and/or storage in the past the regulator turned out to be toast after having invested significant effort to get to that point of understanding and finding out the manufacturer has stopped support?
$250 sounds like full service, plus parts kits on a higher priced brand, plus maybe even some hose replacements. It really doesn't feel likely to me that price represents a simple tale of "old item, tried to service, but can't get parts" which I would usually know after testing and disassembly, before even cleaning, much less reassembly. I would want something for my time, but not that amount, and will offer to apply it towards a replacement purchase.

I think there is more to the story here.

Back
Top Bottom