Buying a DPV brand without local support - bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_mc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

I'm on the search for my first DPV. I do a lot of shore diving so the unit must weigh 15kg or less

The contenders:

Dive X Piranha
Genesis 600
Bonex Eco+

However I'm wondering if I could regret purchasing a DPV which does not have a European service centre, ie. if anything goes wrong with the unit it's got to go back to the US = expensive shipping costs and longer down time.

Is buying a DPV without local-ish tech support generally a bad idea? Or is the reliability of DPV's these days such that you have to be pretty unlucky for anything serious to go wrong in the first couple of years?

Sorry I should have clarified the "contenders list" they are in rank order top being most wanted

Piranha is my preferred of the 3 scooters due to weight/power/range/price combo
Genesis 600 would probably be my scooter of choice but is over my budget
Bonex Eco+ is included as a European option, which mainly ticks all the boxes but major plus being in Europe

Realistically it comes down to Piranha vs Eco+ but more to the point of this thread - local vs overseas manufacturer

Probably only an issue with European customers, it seems all the main European scooter brands are now available in the US, ie. SUEX/Halcyon & Bonex but if scooter owners could put themselves in my position and give feedback that would be great.

I guess the main question is how often do scooters have to go back to base for unplanned works ie. faults/repairs etc.

Buy SUEX- I have had them for years without a single issue. Yes I sell them in Florida, you would buy in Europe so not a sales pitch. They are awesome.

SUEX xjoy7, 14 & 37 all weigh in at 19-20kg, I'm looking at 15kg and under ideally.

I wish they made something smaller and lighter with as much range as a xjoy14.

An Xjoy 7 with a lithium battery could be interesting

My take on your dilemma: I'd worry less about local support but rather gauge what your budget is and getting the most out of money spent.

All the DPVs you mentioned are very reputable DPVs and I wouldn't worry much about going back to manufacturers for unforeseen support.
May be I was lucky to have DPVs that gave me trouble free rides while it was in my possession, but many different brands that I owned were very dependable as long as you maintained them.

I would not think one to spend several thousands of dollars (euros, in your case) and not really doing due diligence. And sometimes it may have to go to manufacturers but I doubt you'd send the entire unit.

Doing research is one thing but I'd recommend you test ride the units you have in mind. I can tell you right off the bat that Piranha and Ecos+ are bit squirrely in my taste, but you should test drive one to see if it is OK with you what it has to offer. And cross reference with DPV that has bit longer hull.

Of the 3 units, I'd go with Genesis, but if budget is limiting factor and if you are already thinking Ecos+, I'd also look at Suex Xjoy 7 with lithium upgrade and removable 4 blade prop. It would be the cheapest route and you'd be relieved that support is locally there. Also, few kg more than all of the other units mentioned is manageable in shore diving situations in my opinion. I was once with your dilemma also.

Definitely, test drive the units if possible, it's the best way and remember once you get to touch the unit, you'll know what you want. Wish I had my resources close by me...would have saved me thousands...

Kyung

Well you were asking about reliability, and really, about the ability to service yourself. I don't know about those models but the Dive Xtras, earlier models, were very easy to do a lot of service yourself. Realistically, you are looking at a shaft seal replacement, and maybe an oring, as regular service items. Battery will not be fun to mail for service if necessary but those normally are just replaced when they die. Then you have electronics, which don't fail very often.

I think you'll be fine with any of them, but do you have the option to buy used? Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Definitely, test drive the units if possible, it's the best way and remember once you get to touch the unit, you'll know what you want.

Locally I could probably get a test drive on a SUEX but nothing else, this is also an issue - buying without trying.

I'd also look at Suex Xjoy 7 with lithium upgrade

Do SUEX do the Xjoy7 with lithium battery? I didn't think it was an option

Well, you might have to go the route I went thru...along the way you might make lots of your dive buddies very happy with great deals.:wink:

If you are limited with budget, going with XJoy 7 with all the upgrade will not only save you loads of money but you'll have plenty fun for about 1.5 hrs @full throttle pulling doubled setup.
It'll be like entry level unit on steroids...If not, save more for fully decked out unit later...

For where you are situated, amount paying for Dive X or Bonex, you can prob. get 2 XJoy7s ? I think...

First go test XJoy 7, and see how you like it. It is definitely manageable for shore diving. Then upgrade to removable 4 blade props and lithium battery, it has enough oomph and much stable ride.

I have several of my buddies enjoying modified XJoy 7s. in lithium setup. John from SCUBAGLOW makes custom salt water ballast and has sold several units that way( He's in US though...but look him up, it's prob. cheaper getting unit from where you're at, than US...)

Where in Europe are you?

Re: our reliability, as JahJahWarrior said, our DPVs have very low maintenance. you really are looking at O-rings and a shaft seal replacement you can do all by yourself. If something were to go wrong, I would personally see to it that you got the best service either directly from me at the factory or by one of my dealers closer to you. Whichever you would prefer.

I do echo kingkong072, ride each one if possible to see what you think. You might find one that stands out heads above the rest and totally change course.

Email me if you've got any questions will@dive-xtras.com

Back
Top Bottom