Buying complete new setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No argument there. Apeks a great choice!
Same comments as before - a sealed diaphragm. Second stage easy to service and very reliable.

It is a waste of money. It is not breathing better than an apeks set of 300 euro.

The apeks set easy to sell after a couple of years for at least 150 euro. An 800 euro scubapro regulator set is maybe worth 400 euro after a couple of years.

When you buy a SP high end regulator, there is never a reason to sell it, you keep using it forever :)

if you're willing to spend that much for a wetsuit, you might want to look into getting an entry level drysuit from seaskin

Hey no it's not like I necessarily wanna pay an amount like that but besides if a suit fits me right I don't really have an idea what to look for in a wetsuit.. Apart from if it fits, so you have a suggestion for me for a quality and reasonable amount of money? Any things, techniques, fabrics I should take in account when buying a wetsuit.
About semi-dry, I don't know but I don't think that's something for me right now. I like the water :D especially when it's nice and warm..

No, it is NOT sealed.
The new EVO spring features an anti icing coating. The regulator itself is superb. But the environmental chamber that allows the reg to adjust supplied intermediate pressure for depth is open to seawater.
See the holes in the chamber just below the turret. This area allows the increasing pressure of seawater to push on the back side of the piston, so that you see a continuous 135psi RELATIVE pressure to your second stage at any depth.
The Atomic has the chamber filled with Christolube and a thin roof over the holes to transmit pressure. Scubapro used to do it (Mk10 SPEC) but abandoned it due to complaints from the dealers about extra labor at servicing.
A unsealed diaphragm (Mk11) does have exposure of the back side of the diaphragm and the spring to seawater, but that doesn't matter with regard to what we are discussing here. The Mk17 eliminates even that. A second diaphragm transmits sea water pressure via a push rod.

Hey no it's not like I necessarily wanna pay an amount like that but besides if a suit fits me right I don't really have an idea what to look for in a wetsuit.. Apart from if it fits, so you have a suggestion for me for a quality and reasonable amount of money? Any things, techniques, fabrics I should take in account when buying a wetsuit.
About semi-dry, I don't know but I don't think that's something for me right now. I like the water :D especially when it's nice and warm..

for wetsuits, it comes down to fit, material, and construction. a semidry is a bit more forgiving on fit because the seals keep water ingress low. semidry suits should be double blindstitched with liquid taped seams. The seams should be neat and even. telling the quality of the neoprene can be a bit trickier but you want a high density yet flexible neoprene for a dive suit. the better material is made by yamamoto or heiwa, but it is hard to tell because most suit manufacturers don't state the neoprene oem. generally you get what you pay for.

i used to dive a bare before i went drysuit and it was ok, but i prefer my oneill a lot more. the hollis, aqualung solafx, xcel, and pinnacle semidrys are the more popular brands i see around in norcal.

There's nothing dry about a semi-dry. It's a wetsuit with drysuit style seals that greatly reduce the flushing.

Such suits are popular in warm environments with lukewarm water like the Mediterranean. They're quite versatile, suitable for both warm water (if 5mm) and short (no-deco) dives in cool water.

Diving suits are perishable items, don't expect to keep one, especially a wetsuit, for many years. If going to a shorts-and-rashguard environment, consider just getting the kind of suit locals use. A couple months of daily diving is well worth the cost of staying comfortable.

- Bcd:
Thanks for your advice, the Apeks Black ice is a Wing style Bcd, so no jacket. If it fits good I think I'm pretty certain I'll go with that or otherwise a Zeagle Something (Stiletto, Scout)

- Wetsuit:
Well what I'm going to do (as planned anyway): during my AOWC I'm going to try as much as possible different wet/semi-dry suits to find out what's best for me, considering fit and quality/strenght/durability.

- Regulator:
So let's say I'd would be better (in terms of dirty/murky water) to take a diaphragm (mk17/s620Ti/r195) or take a sealed piston like Atomic Z3/T3.

- Fins:
Scubapro Seawing Nova (Probably)

- Computer:
Oceanic OCi / Suunti D6i are both appealing.

Well, I guess time enough to do research, try and test some gear before making decision, altogether most of this gear will last hopefully a decade or longer :)

I read somewhere on this forum Fourth Element Proteus 7mm is a really good wetsuite, anybody familiar with these? Also does anybody know why I can't seem to find Fourth Element Proteus 7mm for Man? Are they discontinued?

Back
Top Bottom